Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a good game, how to:  (Read 5725 times)

Creating a good game, how to:
« on: October 15, 2006, 12:02:32 am »
Well another article brought to you by Fendez.com!

The link to the article is here:
http://fendez.com/index.php?page=readtut&id=6

But you can view it on good ol zfgc here:

Creating a good game:
Well I hear a lot of people say it when they see a good game. How do you make a game that is that good? I don't mean games with mean graphics, or amazing audio, im talking about gameplay here. What makes a game good there? So i started looking into the little habits i have developed over the year, im no expert, but I hope it will help some people.

The first good habit is to have a lot of experience in that area. I personally know you cannot make a good game if you have no idea how to code it most of the time. If you dont have the skills to program certain parts of the game, its best to learn to BEFORE you code the game, you could otherwise come to a dead end and not bother to code it. Its even worse if you dont know the theory, because then you have nothing to work with. This is a MUST. Type out theory for every part of the game. Know what your going to code off by heart before you do, i cant stress this enough.

The second good habit to have is to keep a log of your progress. It might sound silly but its a good way to notice your achievements. It shows you that YOU did that, and you did it in this time. It helps you complete projects faster and improve. You may also become more confident as a result because you see what you are actually capable of, right there in front of you.

The third habit which helps, is a combination of the first and second. Before you start, write off a tick list of what needs to be completed. That way as you progress you can see what needs doing, estimate times on it, which will help in giving a good estimation for release dates. It also means you can post logs of how far you are to any fans you may have, which will keep them interested, now this is very important, fans of a game are what keeps it alive most of the time, they boost your confidence, and its just fun to help people like that, whatever they need.

My fourth hint is not to plan bigger than you can do. This is important, if its too big you will simply get bored half way and quit. Its alright having this idea for an amazing game that you just know the world would love, but its no good if you cant finish it, you post a quick demo, get fans and false hope, then end it. This is not good for your publicity and when you finally can make an amazing game you may have no fan base around it.

Another important thing is to NEVER try and do it alone. Its impossible, you need a team, a spriter, another coder, a music man, anything you can get. But you cant just have any team you hardly know, you have to get on with them and trust them, this is a great ingredient for a good game, if you ever feel like giving up they will encourage you not too, lets face it, you dont make lots of graphics like that to be told your coders left you do you?

Listen to criticism and improve... I dont understand why people post their game on a forum, a couple of people reply and say something needs improving, and they go mad, its stupid. You post asking for criticism to improve it, that's the point. Nobody is perfect and nobody will get it right first time, stop thinking you will. Listen to your criticisms and learn from them, its the best way to become better, it can help not only in the game your developing but in future games.

Have fun whilst making the game, this is possibly the most important factor at al. I dont know if you noticed but if a developer doesn't care about the game, its usually boring and rubbish. There is just no fun in it, make the game with a passion, love your game and realise that YOU created it and realise your talents, if you dont do this you will find that no matter how great your games look, the game play will always suck.

There's not much more I can say, happy developing!
  • Elliott Parkinson
Re: Creating a good game, how to:
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 05:22:28 pm »
I like it, congrats... But I feel that it could have more stuff, even so, nice one :)
However, one thing I disagree with- I'm a very individualist person so I always do games alone, but that's just me :P and I suck at teamwork and so xP
But other than that, it's a great tutorial - a MUST see to every one ;)

mit

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 05:38:30 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
I agree with most of what is said (other than the doing it all yourself bit, in some cases, this can make it a lot easier). However, this article isn't really on Gameplay, but simply on being organised.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 05:51:08 pm »
  • The Broken King
well, you can't have a good game without some level of organisatoin ;)
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 10:28:17 am »
well, you can't have a good game without some level of organisation ;)

Some level? I would say its the most important part of it, if your not organised, no game, simple, lol.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 02:42:32 pm »
  • The Broken King
Very true, ESPECIALLY in a team environment.

When youre making a game on your own, a lot of the organisation can go on in your head - but even alone, that's every difficult, and it's best to put a lot on paper.
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]

-X-

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 04:39:38 pm »
I intend to start making games soon, and in order to do so I've been doing some research, and this tutorial has a lot of good information about being organised, and thats quite important, especially in team work (not just game making but everywhere) if you just throw stuff everywhere in a completely unorganised manner, the other team members will be quite irritated with you
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 12:18:43 pm »
  • Fendez Prez
Great article MaJoRa - some very good points. The bit about not working on your own is very true, although I would say that it is possible if you are single-minded and extremely determined.

I'd add that ALL planning should go onto some paper, and not just be left in your head.
  • Fendez Gaming
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 04:17:19 am »
You really don't need to write down every single thing you wanna do down. Level designs are probably the only thing, unless you have some kind of amnesia, which then you shouldn't be making games anyway.

Revfan9

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 08:55:20 pm »
Listen to criticism and improve... I dont understand why people post their game on a forum, a couple of people reply and say something needs improving, and they go mad, its stupid. You post asking for criticism to improve it, that's the point. Nobody is perfect and nobody will get it right first time, stop thinking you will. Listen to your criticisms and learn from them, its the best way to become better, it can help not only in the game your developing but in future games.

The problem, IMHO, with why most fangames made are steaming piles of !@#$% is because people don't give out harsh enough criticisms. Look in the development boards of any site (especially here) and tell me, how many posts contain "<name> sucks. <list of what is wrong with it>"? During the time I've been lurking around here, I count zero, zip, nada. Now, let's compare proper criticism versus what usually happens with a random shot from a random project here:

Proper criticism:

First off, there is no transition between the grasses and the mountain vista. It makes it look like the vista is painted there on the ground, rather than something Link is actually watching. Second, the perspective is odd. Find an image where it shows the mountain from a top-down view, like the rest of the shot. That way, the way that the shot is done will make much more sense. Lastly, everything in this shot is far too straight, too organized. The trees and bricks are all in straight rows. It's okay for the road to be that way, but nature isn't organized. Put some variety there. There are hardly any ground details at all. How many different tiles are on that ground? Most of the ground tiles are the same tile repeated over and over again. I also see only one type of ground detail, and that's the flowers, which there are only one type of. At least spice everything up to make it more interesting to look at.

What usually happens:

Wow dude! This looks awesome! Hurry it up so I can play it, okay? 8)

The second response will surely do more to enhance the author's self-esteem, but in terms of the actual quality of the project, it won't tell him that his work is crap and he needs to improve it.

Something else I noticed is the general lack of creativity in Zelda fangame projects. Most of them seem to want to mimic Nintendo (who, IMO, makes terrible design decisions most of the time), so a good deal of Zelda fangames tend to be copies of LttP and TMC, except with really, really bad level design (for reasons I stated above). The least the project makers can do is try to come up with their own frickin ideas instead of reusing other's. On that note, I see a lot of theft in this community. Not gonna point out any names, but...

And the last thing I have come to notice is the focus on the actual programming. When programming your own project, the main focus is always whether the code works or not. Now, this is fine if we were programming a usable application or something... But these are games here. So much focus goes into the programming that the gameplay/graphics/audio suffers terribly for it. There is really no solution for this except, as the guide says above, to seperate the tasks onto different people. That way, one person can worry about how the actual programming works, and the other can make sure the level design is as fantastic as possible.

However, pair programming works great when the programmers are physically together, but over the internet, they tend to step on each other's toes. Oh the irony...
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 09:03:29 pm »
  • :D

The problem, IMHO, with why most fangames made are steaming piles of !@#$% is because people don't give out harsh enough criticisms. Look in the development boards of any site (especially here) and tell me, how many posts contain "<name> sucks. <list of what is wrong with it>"? During the time I've been lurking around here, I count zero, zip, nada. Now, let's compare proper criticism versus what usually happens with a random shot from a random project here:

Proper criticism:

First off, there is no transition between the grasses and the mountain vista. It makes it look like the vista is painted there on the ground, rather than something Link is actually watching. Second, the perspective is odd. Find an image where it shows the mountain from a top-down view, like the rest of the shot. That way, the way that the shot is done will make much more sense. Lastly, everything in this shot is far too straight, too organized. The trees and bricks are all in straight rows. It's okay for the road to be that way, but nature isn't organized. Put some variety there. There are hardly any ground details at all. How many different tiles are on that ground? Most of the ground tiles are the same tile repeated over and over again. I also see only one type of ground detail, and that's the flowers, which there are only one type of. At least spice everything up to make it more interesting to look at.

What usually happens:

Wow dude! This looks awesome! Hurry it up so I can play it, okay? 8)

The second response will surely do more to enhance the author's self-esteem, but in terms of the actual quality of the project, it won't tell him that his work is crap and he needs to improve it.

Something else I noticed is the general lack of creativity in Zelda fangame projects. Most of them seem to want to mimic Nintendo (who, IMO, makes terrible design decisions most of the time), so a good deal of Zelda fangames tend to be copies of LttP and TMC, except with really, really bad level design (for reasons I stated above). The least the project makers can do is try to come up with their own frickin ideas instead of reusing other's. On that note, I see a lot of theft in this community. Not gonna point out any names, but...

And the last thing I have come to notice is the focus on the actual programming. When programming your own project, the main focus is always whether the code works or not. Now, this is fine if we were programming a usable application or something... But these are games here. So much focus goes into the programming that the gameplay/graphics/audio suffers terribly for it. There is really no solution for this except, as the guide says above, to seperate the tasks onto different people. That way, one person can worry about how the actual programming works, and the other can make sure the level design is as fantastic as possible.

However, pair programming works great when the programmers are physically together, but over the internet, they tend to step on each other's toes. Oh the irony...

First new person I've ever liked, welcome :D

uma

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 10:52:19 pm »
  • Ghosts can have Aliens too you know.
Really smart stuff that is exactly what I agree too

Best. Female ZFGC member. Evar.

Anyways, I completely agree. BTW, that pic is from that pretty bad zelda fangame on GamingW, right? Did you join there?
Ghosts of Aliens
Entire project progress: About 20%

My FurAffinity!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/umathefurry/

Revfan9

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 11:53:45 pm »
Well, I'm glad I'm getting such good reception *blushes and giggles like a little Japanese schoolgirl*

That project is from someone here... but I don't wanna give any names and embarass the creator...

But the way you learn what good level design and how to build good areas is just from experience, and to change anything that anybody finds wrong with it, and most importantly, to learn about it. In Zelda, the case tends to be Good Level Design=Good Game overall, due simply by the nature of the adventure genre. Your first couple of projects might be crap, and that's perfectly okay, as long as you learn what you did wrong and do better next time.

*realizes she is starting to sound like her english teacher... ugh...*
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 03:19:52 am »
Creating a good game, how to:
By Imfletcher

Pick something you can do.
Don't give up halfway through.
Be sure to finish it eventually.

The end.

Er...yours is good too. Actually great, should be helpful.
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 10:13:21 pm »
  • When you express in one word, “the anus”
ZFGC obviously has the proper amount of experience in game design to make judgments like this, I mean they've worked with such advanced programs as GAME MAKER, RPGMAKER XP, and such highly crafted graphics design apps such as MSpaint and GIMP. They have also worked on teams made up of at least 5 other people, with such titles as "tiler" and "beta tester".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 67 queries.

anything