Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [DEMO] Mario & Luigi - The Hunt For King Boo  (Read 12826 times)

[DEMO] Mario & Luigi - The Hunt For King Boo
« on: November 25, 2010, 07:27:27 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
It was a fine day at the beach when suddenly...  [Story to be Developed]

Join Mario and Luigi in this epic cooperative adventure.
Princess peach has been abducted again, but this time it isn't the King Kupa!  King Boo is taking his shot at the Princess, and both Mario and Luigi are hot on his trail!

Features:
-Play as either Mario or Luigi in a cooperative puzzle solving adventure.
-Customizable Player Controls
-Beat each level by getting the key to the door
-Build the level as you play in order to solve each level's puzzle
-Swimming, Flips, Dives, and Handstands line up in your arsenal of moves to save the princess!
-Collect all of Princess Peaches lost items to unlock bonus content (Bonus content is not yet included in the demo)
-And More

Download Demo Here: http://beta.zfgc.com/index.php/projects/downloads/index/18

Title Screen
[imgzoom]http://beta.zfgc.com/index.php/projects/gallery/view/55/[/imgzoom]

In Game Menu
[imgzoom]http://beta.zfgc.com/index.php/projects/gallery/view/54/[/imgzoom]

MORE SCREENS: http://beta.zfgc.com/index.php/projects/gallery/index/18
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:56:15 pm by Aero88 »
Re: [Screens] Mario & Luigi The Hunt For King Bo...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 07:34:23 pm »
Heh. sounds a lot like Mario Vs DK..
I'll add one of these later.
Re: [Screens] Mario & Luigi The Hunt For King Bo...
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 07:36:54 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Heh. sounds a lot like Mario Vs DK..

Your right.  That is indeed the motivation behind this project, but there is more involved in this.
Re: [Screens] Mario & Luigi - The Hunt For King...
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:23:03 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Well I know that I don't have a whole lot here for you guys just yet, but a demo will be on its way.  I realized after posting this project that I didn't want to give away too much info before releasing the demo which will consist of about 10 levels...  The first world.  Anyways I have been recently adding some neat features though to make a good variety in game play.  This is also the first project I have made in which I use timelines for creating cut scenes which has been interesting.  Also most all of the graphics you see in the screen shots I sprited...  the exceptions being the beach trees and the beach grass found in the levels as well as the power star sprite found in the over world screen.  There might be others, but I think that is it.  Oh yeah, I also took the outline of Mario facing right from the original NES game called Donkey Kong though I have added way more sprites than originally existed and I recolored him.  Well here are a few things I have recently finished in case you are interested in hearing.

-Springboards
-Poison Mushrooms
-Wind
-Conveyor Belts
-Wall Walkers (Thats the little lady bug looking thing you see on the wall in the screen shot)

Edit: Forgot to mention
-Moving Platforms
-Wall Kicks
-Thwamps

Ha ha...  That probably doesn't mean much to you though since you haven't had a chance to try a demo yet...  All in good time...  I can assure you though that it will be worth trying when it comes out.  In the mean time if you have any comments/questions on the screens, or on game play I would be happy to hear them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:50:45 am by Aero88 »
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 05:30:04 am »
This is a weird looking RPG

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 05:41:28 am »
  • ...---^^^---...

Yeah I think it will come together a little more after I get the demo out.  The only other game like it as far as I know is "Donkey Kong" (Game Boy) which The Boy mentioned.  It was actually one my favorit games on the GB.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 06:14:13 am »

Yeah I think it will come together a little more after I get the demo out.  The only other game like it as far as I know is "Donkey Kong" (Game Boy) which The Boy mentioned.  It was actually one my favorit games on the GB.

I was just making a joke since the Mario and Luigi games are usually RPG's >.>

This doesn't look bad so far though, i look forward to trying the demo when you get it out. Though i don't like the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games, i will definitely try this since i am a big mario fan

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 06:00:34 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...

This doesn't look bad so far though, i look forward to trying the demo when you get it out. Though i don't like the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games, i will definitely try this since i am a big mario fan

Thanks.  I am hopping to get the demo done by the end of December as there will be no school for Christmas break so I will have more time to work on it.  Strangely enough though I actually don't like most Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games either.  Fortunately the one for the GB Classic (which I am drawing from) was much better than any of the others.  So I think you guys will find it entertaining.  Anyhow, I will try to get another screen shot up before too long.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:03:27 pm by Aero88 »
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 09:23:16 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Here is a boo I just spirited for the game, but it is kind of small sorry.  It looks pretty good to me, but sometimes another persons eyes will see better.  What think you?
[imgzoom]http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/1526/boospritesheet.png[/imgzoom]

Update:
-Boos are now coded
-1UPs are now coded
-Fake Key doors added
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:21:36 am by Aero88 »
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 03:01:55 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Ha ha...  Well I guess I won't be reaching my December demo deadline...  Sorry.  I also haven't gotten a new screen shot in a while even though I was planning on getting one.  Oh well I will try for next month.  I haven't been slacking off though...  Here is what is new

- Two Way Switches
- Three Way Switches
     -Switchable Conveyor Belts (Switch controls the direction of the belt)
     -Switchable Ground Objects (Switch creates a ground object to span a gap)
     -Switchable Walls (Switch creates a wall or destroys a wall to open a path)
- Floating Water Barrels (Barrels can be stacked on top of each other)
- Elevators

I will try to get a demo out as soon as possible.  Sorry about the wait...  :-[
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 04:43:04 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Okay, well as late as it is I finally got another screen shot out (Check First Post).  It is a bonus stage which plays kind of like the secret stages in super mario sunshine where quick reflexes and good timing are required.  My brother and I had a blast trying to get through it in multiplayer last night...  It is harder in multiplayer because both characters have to make it through the obstacles.  As far as new coding is concerned I have coded some sand blocks that deteriorate when you are standing on them, and some fall away platforms that start falling when you stand on them.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 02:08:30 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Kind of a charming looking game :) Bonus is, if you run into any legal trouble, you can easily replace any characters and make it an IP!
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 05:59:03 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Kind of a charming looking game :) Bonus is, if you run into any legal trouble, you can easily replace any characters and make it an IP!

Thanks!  I hope it doesn't come to that though.  Though at this point I am sure that I could turn this into IP if I wanted to.

Update.  The progress of the Demo is coming along very nicely.  I just fixed a bunch of odd bugs which were troubling me.  I have 9 of the 11 levels intended for the demo put together, and then after that is finished I need to put together a menu of sorts.  Here is a screen shot of one of the recent levels I put together which also shows a couple of "HotHead" enemys which I recently sprited...  Poor Mario got cooked...
[imgzoom]http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1027/burntq.jpg[/imgzoom]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:03:34 pm by Aero88 »

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 11:45:17 pm »
This looks like a really great game. From the screenshots you seem to know what you're doing, and from the looks of things, the demo should be lots of fun! I eagerly await it =)
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 03:16:07 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Wow!!!  another month and I still don't quite have the demo ready...   :(  
I feel bad for the amount of time this is taking.  It is so incredibly close to being ready!  Really only finishing details now...  It is surprising to me though how much time it takes to really refine something.  This will be by far the most complete demo I have ever put out.  Putting in all the things that make something look presentable can take a lot of work even though each thing by and in itself is kind of small.  The Demo is entirely playable in its current state, but it still needs just a little polish...  I think it is safe to say though that I am probably more eager for this demo to be finished than anybody else is.  Alas...  Given a little more time it will be.  (like I haven't said that before).  Well just for the sake of posting some form of an update I do have a screen shot of the in game menu for you to look at so check the first post.

Edit:  Oh yeah I also threw in a pic of the title screen as it will stand in the Demo...  Because the name might change though I didn't put a whole lot of work into the custom portion of the title.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:23:23 am by Aero88 »

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 03:53:59 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Oh yeah, if this is being devved in GM (which I believe it is, given you made the SSB game too) You should set the color depth to 16 bit to get rid of that blurry interpolation, it'll make your sprites pop more :)
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 03:56:08 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Oh yeah, if this is being devved in GM (which I believe it is, given you made the SSB game too) You should set the color depth to 16 bit to get rid of that blurry interpolation, it'll make your sprites pop more :)

It is GM8. Yeah I have been having some problems with the interpolation.  I tried changing the color depth to 16 as you suggested and I get some lines appearing in my gradient background do to the low color count.  I posted some example of some different configurations below...  Personally I think it looks best with the 32 bit Interpolation On, but I don't know.  What do you think...  With the interpolation off it looks especially bad if you are in the over-world.

No Interpolation with 16 bit
[imgzoom]http://beta.zfgc.com/index.php/projects/gallery/view/57/[/imgzoom]

No Interpolation with 32 Bit
[imgzoom]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6416/32bitnointerpolation.png[/imgzoom]

16 bit color depth with interpolation On
[imgzoom]http://beta.zfgc.com/index.php/projects/gallery/view/56/[/imgzoom]

32 bit depth with Interpolation On
[imgzoom]http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9945/interpolationwith32bitc.png[/imgzoom]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:58:14 pm by Aero88 »

DeathTailsz

Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 09:01:37 am »
  • Angelic Hymn
This reminds me of the time I used to play Donkey Kong (The 'extension' to the original NES game) on the first Gameboy.
I can't wait to see more.

"More like Stupei Ace Defective!" - Yukari - Persona 3
  • StarFox 2D
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 05:11:10 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Alas!  At long last I have completed a demo for your enjoyment.  Now I am not going to say this game will be easy, but give it some time, and I think you will like it!

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!  Feel free to post any glitches as well.  Thanks!
Be sure the read the hint blocks.  The info they give you is often necessary!

Download here:http://beta.zfgc.com/index.php/projects/downloads/index/18
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:18:18 pm by Aero88 »
Re: [DEMO] Mario & Luigi - The Hunt For King Bo...
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 05:33:44 pm »
Hmm, not sure why but when I open the game it seems to randomly not have sound 50% of the time.
(I have to exit the game and then re-opening it'll either have sound or none at all again)
Basic PC Info if that helps: Win7 64bit, 6GB RAM

Right off the bat I messed up the controls cuz I'm an idiot... lol Maybe have a button to reset controls to default?

Again I'm probably just being an idiot, but I can't seem to start a game...
Scratch that, found the key... That thing just looked like a mailbox to me. lol Playing now I'll write more when I'm done.

At first I tried standing by the doors and hitting random keys. All I did was restart the game when I "R". lol You should make it so it at least requires "alt+R" to restart, othterwise people could hit the R key itself fairly easily and restart the game. That would suck.

EDIT: Back from playing some more, it's pretty fun and overall well done.
I think you should stick with the 16bit, so the graphics don't seem so blurred and smudged. Looks like low quality .jpg files atm.

Also, did you record the level complete sound directly from a gameboy speaker? haha That's what it sounds like. :P

The intro is nice, why not use that same textbox engine for hint blocks and such?

Love the overworld also. :D But I think the ingame levels should reflect the overworld more. Like when the stage is shown on the beach sand on the overworld, the ingame stage should actually be set on a beach or at least sand.

So got to this level and ended up stumped... How do I even pick this key up in the first place if I can't stand ontop of it? :/

Oh, guess you have to jump and duck just right. Seems more like glitching the engine mixed with luck is needed to achieve it though, rather than skill.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:08:53 pm by Drewdelz »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 77 queries.