Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Search Engine  (Read 3030 times)

PoeFacedKilla

Prussian Killer Bee
New Search Engine
« on: July 24, 2010, 06:04:11 am »
I've been working the last couple of days on a simple search engine.  Write now its really only single word searches, but I hope to change that soon.  I'm gonna add a link to us page and a few others but right now i'm busy adding to it.  I beg you, if you know of a website please enter it by clicking the link in the top right corner.

QwakSearch

I have 2 Domains
http://qwaksearch.co.nr
http://qwakhouse.co.nr
the Indyboard - User Generated Social Forum | Now With Even More Discussion!
Poe, The Independent Programmer
  • Zelda Shrine

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: New Search Engine
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:32:06 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'm not trying to be a DICK here at all, but honestly this is never going to work at all.

The simple "add a page" search system hasn't worked for a long time. That's why Google, Yahoo, Ask, etc use spiders to crawl to find sites. Not to mention, for your search to be viable, you'd need a heavy duty server  to store the information you gather. Ultimately, if for some reason it does catch on, you need the resources to maintain it.

I just don't think it's going to pan out the way you're expecting it to, and you're not going to get a diverse enough demographic for it to be useful.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:07:54 am »
I have to agree with Mammy. It might be a nice project to show what you can, but it will never compete with Google, Yahoo and other search engines.

About the site. The search results are not really obvious. Google still shows the part surrounding the keywords. Allowing users to determine if the keyword is also used in the right context. In your results it is only shown how often it occurs on the page. This will get spamwebsites to use much searched keywords to add to their sites in large quantaties and come high in the resultlist.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:56:16 pm »
"I'll google it"
"I'll use yahoo"
"i'll bi... oh yeah bing is a dumb name"
"I'll Qwak it!"
"I'll use Qwaksearch!"

Don't think the name will really catch on.

Don't listen to Niek, i am sure once we get enough people, we can add every website on the internet!

If i put a website into quotes like "zfgc" no website comes up and the word in the search box is changed to \\\\. Typing in gay in your search engine brought up MSN and Gamespot O_o
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 06:58:49 pm by FISSURE »

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:33:17 pm »
  • Xiphirx
Uh, this isn't a very good idea when you have to compete with the likes of Google.

I tested your engine out, and let me first say that it is much slower compared to Google's, it repeats entries, and returns completely unrelated items... searching "google" got me hotmansex.com ;)
Your SQL injection protection isn't very swell... If there is one quote in the search string it changes your query to /// ...
  • For The Swarm

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 06:45:10 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Hate to say google beat you to the punch, but they did :( 15 years ago this woulda been an amazing idea :D!
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 06:57:18 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Ironically enough, searching for "http://qwaksearch.co.nr" brought up no results, even after directly adding "http://qwaksearch.co.nr" to the site index.

<_< that's not good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 51 queries.

anything