Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature List  (Read 4711 times)

Feature List
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:05:42 pm »
This topic contains a complete list with all the features developed for the Community Project: Minish Cap Style Engine. In this topic members can post to request for specific features and other members might pick up the request. This topic is not for discussing features.

Here are the rules or this topic.
1) When making a request start your post with [REQUEST]. Give a name of the feature and provide a description as detailed as possible of what you want.

2) When requesting a feature and you have resources that can be used for the feature, provide a link for the download and credit information that needs to be added to the feature.

3) When accepting a request start your post with [ACCEPT]. Give the name of the feature you are accepting and the name of the member that has requested the feature.

4) Members can also announce that they start to work on a feature even when it hasn't been requested. Start the post with [ANNOUNCE] and give a name and description of the feature you are making

Available features
Feature nameCreatorDateProject pageTopicOther dependencies
MC BoomerangNiek2010-06-29http://www.zfgc.com/index.php#?action=games&sa=view&id=168http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=36633.0-

Requested features
Feature nameRequested byDatePostAccepted byDate
Lift & ThrowDark Hylian2010-07-21http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=36627.msg412177#msg412177......
HookshotBrutus2010-11-10http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=36627.msg416940#msg416940......
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:24:16 am by Niek »
Re: Feature List
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 08:54:45 pm »
To let a feature be added to the list of features it has to pass some requirements.

1) A project page has to be created in the projects section of the site.

2) A Rar/Zip file with a *.gmk and a ReadMe.txt needs to be downloadable from the project page. Additional external files also need to be included in the file when the feature makes use of them.
      2a) The ReadMe.txt needs to comply with the following template:
Name:    Name of the feature
Creator:   Name of the creator(s)
Date:      Date of when it was finished

>> Additional Credits
Post here some additional credit information, when you have
obtained resources or anything from someone else.

>> Minimum Requirements:
Mention here the engine version it was build on and what
additional features are required to use with this feature.

>> Description:
Give here a detailed as possible description of what the feature
does.

>> Extra coding required
Provide here some extra coding instructions on how to make the
feature work in the engine.

>>Resource Checklist
Provide here a list with the names of all the resources in the
GMK. This functions as a checklist to see if nothing is missing.
    2b) The GMK file prefferably contains only resources and not objects. Definitely not objects that already exist in the engine. If the feature is a very specialized object it can be added. If the feature requires some change in objects or code this is prefferably done in the feature topic.
     2c) The Game Information in the GMK should at least contain all the credit information pertaining the feature.

3) A topic for that feature needs to be created in the Community Project board for members and you to discuss the feature. Start the topic title with [Feature], to differentiate from possible other topics.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:03:51 pm by Niek »

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:18:13 am »
[REQUEST]!! - Lift and Throw

Basically, the lifting and throwing mechanisms from MC. I forget of you can simply place things in front of you, (that'd be amazing, but if it's not in MC, and you don't want to do it, that's just fine), but anyways.

objLink, as we'll call him, is standing in front of an object. When the player presses the "Action Button", or S as it is the in MCCP, objLink reaches forward, and the object is moved to above objLink's head. Now, the object is removed from the spot where it was, so objLink could stand there, and not have it be there, yada yada.

Now, when objLink presses the S button again, he will (THIS IS OPTIONAL, SEE ABOVE) place the object above his head down, right in front of him, if space is avaliable. Elsewise, the object will break, and whatever happens when the object breaks, shall occur.

However, if objLink is moving, (and this is the importanter part), and the S button is pressed, objLink will throw the object forward, whereupon it collides with: a wall, another object, an enemy, a pit, or the floor, it will break.

If anyone would be willing to code this, that would be a major major help. I can probably provide an example video from MC, but that'd take a while, so you'd have to be patient.

Thanks in advance =)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:22:08 am by Dark-Hylian »
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 06:48:37 am »
Wow, that's going to be a lot of work. It's probably best to cut this one up in subsections. I've already build this twice in my game. Once to just get it working and I'm now redoing it to use less objects and make it more uniform with other actions, but I'll spare you all of that. It's not hard to build, but it is a lot of things to consider which is why I'm posting.

Original method.
Once you press the action button next to an object you can pick up you create an new object which I'll call obj_Container for now.

Copy all the needed variables over to it: sprite, weight (to determine damage dealt), items held, sound when destroyed, sprite when destroyed, key_index (for if you want a pot to hold a key since they should always be a one time event) and creator_id. I'll explain that last one a little further. You'll want pots/bushes/rocks/etc to respawn after 3 or so rooms so I place creator objects in my rooms instead of actual pots. If you are about to enter a room the game removes all currently present pots and uses all the creation objects to create some new ones. Now then. You want your carried object to hold the id of the creation object (or something similar) so that you can give feedback to the creation point once an object is created. If a pot containers a key or red rupee then you don't want that to repeat (while in the area) for people to come back to a pot for infinite keys/money.

Next you create an object for the objects shadow. It's instance_id can be stored in obj_Container. If Link picks up large objects then you'll expect a larger shadow. Place it at the same depth as Link's shadow. While picking up and throwing the positioning of the shadow needs to be placed manually. In all other events you can just place it at the same position as Link's shadow. Assuming both shadows have an centered offset or are images within the same sprite. The shadow needs to be repositioned at each step to follow the movements of obj_Container.

The position of the carried object needs to be manually placed above link during all of the actions it is involved. That would be: Pick up, throwing, walking, running, ledge jumping and crashing against walls. That needs to be done frame by frame for most of those. You can either make copies of the scripts for those actions and redo them with a carried object or (and this is what I did) have the scripts handle both normal actions and the actions with the carried object. Also keep in mind that you want to change the shadows a little in size during ledge jumping and wall crashing. So that means the container shadows as well.

If Link gets hurt while carrying an object the object breaks. I'm not sure if this also happens in MC, but I'll just mention it all the same. Once this happens you probably don't want there to be items. That would be a depth nightmare. In alttp a large rock also used multiple sprites when destroyed. I'm not sure about MC but that is also something to consider.

Once you throw the obj_Container that object should be separated from Link entirely. Which is why I already mentioned saving variables to obj_Container instead of Link's master control tile. It is possible to pick up an container and stand in front of another. Throw you're first objects and immediately pick up the second. You could potentially get a wrong item/sound/sprite/damage dealt for the one you just threw away. If you really do want to store the used variables in an master control object then I suggest using two sets of variables. Once obj_Container is destroyed it clears it's used variables which was either the first or second set. If an object is picked up then it uses the first set if no other obj_Container exists and the set's variables are cleared. And otherwise the second set.

Once throwing your obj_Container you'll want to destroy it at four moments. 1. obj_Container hits the ground by making it to the end of the script. 2. obj_Container hit's an solid object you can not throw over. 3. You hit an solid object you can throw over but you're obj_Container is almost near the ground so it's expected to be destroyed. 4. You hit an enemy. Again, you'll probably want to consider throwing over an enemy. Do not do this based solely on the height above ground for your obj_Container. Consider throwing to a rat and a large enemy/boss. It's clear that you'd get weird situations. Unlike with solids you can throw over since you've already established you can throw over them giving them a somewhat similar height. The way I'm solving this issue right now is to also use the attached shadow. If abs(enemy.y - shadow.y) is equal or less then [insert you're own preference here] then the enemy collides with obj_Container.

I hope some of this helps, though I'm probably forgetting stuff.
You might also want to handicap walking and running etc based on the weight of the carried but I'm not sure if that was done in MC or if you want that in.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 02:35:52 am »
Can we submit more than one feature?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 06:26:17 am »
Off course, people can request and created as many features as they want. But be warned with requesting features that a lot of time may pass until they are completed. People need to be willing to work on it as well. For now 4Sword and I are the only ones actually programming and I am also organising and merging engines for new stable releases.

@Martijn dh: In MC Link only lifts objects of about 16x16 in size and all have the same weight.

Brutus

Kirby Master
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 04:30:24 am »
I don't know how to do a hookshot script and I think it would be a great addition to the MC engine (even though there's no hookshot in MC). If there anyone willing to do this, I have the sprites here. http://www.mediafire.com/?3jmpj1xlbhpt96m
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:57:22 am by Brutus »
if place_free(x,y,z) {wrong number of arguments to function or script}
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 08:27:14 am »
Your request has been added to the list. As soon as someone accepts the request it will be noted. At the moment I am working on getting a new stable release out of the door, with some combat capabilities and a good instruction guide on how to create your own.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 08:31:43 am »
I know both of these requests will need sprites but what about
-Being flung back like if a bomb explodes near you like in OOT and MM
-The Spinner in TP

Of course you don't need to but Im sure people would want to know about these
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 55 queries.

anything