Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Magical boomerang and pushing  (Read 4089 times)

Magical boomerang and pushing
« on: February 10, 2010, 10:16:04 pm »
Alright, I have been working a bit on some actions for Link again. The first action is a new itemscript for the Magical Boomerang. If you keep the action button pressed you should be able to curve the boomerang with the arrow keys.

The second action is Pushing and like pitfalling and ledge jumping this is a integrated action, because it does not require the press of the action or an item key to activate. This action is based on Goodnights pushing engine.

In the attachment you'll find a rar file with again both GM8 and GM7 versions.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:46:56 am by Niek »
Re: Magical boomerang and pushing
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 11:23:26 pm »
This is unexpected but cool nonetheless. Not sure if you got the second message I sent you, but I had pretty much figured out view transitions and sub-rooms with optional view transition buffering. I had been trying to deactivate/activate instances outside the view, but like the Game Maker manual says, doing that is depreciated - it worked perfectly fine except that a triangle corner block would sometimes have its bottom half invisible. I guess that actually doesn't matter if the corner blocks would be set to completely invisible anyway once tiles get put in but meh.

Also because doing so would the ideal way would take more time and energy, for the time being I gave you the Site Staff rank as secondary; with this you should be able to post in the Updates board (and thus to the site) as well as being able to change the news on the forum index. You might see some of the staff areas, but you don't seem like the kind of person who'd wreck the place or system when getting there so all is good.

The boomerang seems to look really professional and works just about as close to perfect as it can. The block pushing would be like that too if when the object being pushed is in motion, Link's able_x/able_y was false while his move_x/move_y was a value. Least I think so, I'll have to look back into the game for that stuff.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:36:47 pm by 4Sword »
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 03:19:26 am »
awesome work!
ive found a glitch(please dont hate me lol)
stand at the bottom of the screen like in my picture and hold Z(and dont let go)
then about half a second later, hold DOWN to move the boomerang down. you will see that the boomerang seems to get stuck on the edge of the screen until its time for it to come back.

EDIT: and another glitch -

if you push the block by the ice shown in the pic, it sometimes gets stuck.
i did manage to get a block onto the ice via the place marked [X] in the pic. i only did it once though...i tried again in the same place and it wouldnt work.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:32:07 am by Skeme KOS »
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:24:34 am »
This is unexpected but cool nonetheless. Not sure if you got the second message I sent you, but I had pretty much figured out view transitions and sub-rooms with optional view transition buffering.
I had seen it yes, but before I would answer you message I wanted to put these to things out first. Initially I had planned to make a HUD to before putting it out. You will get an answer soon.

Also because doing so would the ideal way would take more time and energy, for the time being I gave you the Site Staff rank as secondary; with this you should be able to post in the Updates board (and thus to the site) as well as being able to change the news on the forum index. You might see some of the staff areas, but you don't seem like the kind of person who'd wreck the place or system when getting there so all is good.
I have seen it, although I first thought it was another glitch with the Developer rank. I won't be abusing it.

The block pushing would be like that too if when the object being pushed is in motion, Link's able_x/able_y was false while his move_x/move_y was a value. Least I think so, I'll have to look back into the game for that stuff.
Yeah I checked that, but the only direction that is disabled is the other direction from which you travel. Thus traveling horizontal than vertical is disabled and vice versa. Because you can push a block and immediately stop pushing while the block continues.

awesome work!
ive found a glitch(please dont hate me lol)
Thnx, that is why these things get posted. So people can find glitches. And as always we are glad your testing.

stand at the bottom of the screen like in my picture and hold Z(and dont let go)
then about half a second later, hold DOWN to move the boomerang down. you will see that the boomerang seems to get stuck on the edge of the screen until its time for it to come back.

I am currently looking into it, but I do have to point out what the behavior is. In MC when you throw the magical boomerang and keep the button pressed, you can curve the boomerang. When the boomerang has traveled its maximum distance and the button is still pressed, than the boomerang will keep floating in its place before returning to Link.

I will keep looking at it, but I also want to ask you to do 2 other tests. The first one is to do the same but press up instead of down. Check if the same kind of stuck happens when you press down. The second is pressing down immediately when it is thrown. Look if the boomerang flies of screen.

EDIT: and another glitch -

if you push the block by the ice shown in the pic, it sometimes gets stuck.
i did manage to get a block onto the ice via the place marked [X] in the pic. i only did it once though...i tried again in the same place and it wouldnt work.
Again, I am looking into this, but I can't replicate it. Might I ask, was it the block in the left of the room that went onto the ice, or was the block on the right side of the room. The block on at the left has a limited number (3 down, 3 up, 3 right, 3 left) of pushes you can do, thus halting right before the ice. The block on the right side of the room has unlimited pushes and it is possible to push that one on the ice.

But here are a few questions of mine. I can't recall any situation where it occurs in MC, but I would like to know your thoughts about the following:

1) When a normal block goes from regular ground to ice, is this possible and will the block be effected by the ice, just like an ice block.

2) When pushing a block onto a hole, will it refuse to go there or will it fall in and dissappear. I know in ALttP the block would fall in.

PS: I did find a glitch myself. A block and boomerang can go over a bounce object. The objBounce needs parObstacle set as its parent, to solve this glitch.

PSS: Skeme KOS, you said that you wanted to learn Game Maker and GML, right. Well, the best way to do that is to make something. Why don't you try writing an item/action script for the CP.

EDIT: I fixed the glitch I was talking about, haven't been able to reproduce the glitches Skeme KOS was talking about. Oh I also added functionality for pushables to have a limited pushes no matter the direction.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:54:37 am by Niek »
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 01:26:20 am »
@ niek, yeah it must have been the block on the right side of the room that i got onto the ice.
i didnt realize that you could only push the block on the left side of the room 3 times each direction.
so that is definitely not a glitch.

about the boomerang, i tried holding up instead of down and the glitch doesnt happen.
i also pressed down straight away and the glitch doesnt happen.

the glitch only seems to occur when you are standing in approximately the same place where i was in the picture i posted before and if you wait about a second before holding down.
im sure it is a glitch of some kind. whether or not it would affect the gameplay though, im not sure.

ive never really played MC enough so i wouldnt be able to answer your questions right now.
however i will look into it for you.

im not sure what you mean by writing an item/action script for the CP. could you please explain an item/action script and tell me what CP stands for?

i will give it a go once i know what it is.
thanks.

EDIT:

ok, ive just had a little play in the ice dungeon in MC so heres the answers to your questions:

1) i couldnt find anywhere that would allow me to do that. sorry.
2) yes, it falls and disappears like it does in ALTTP.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:10:26 am by Skeme KOS »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 04:51:36 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Found a couple of errors-

One simple one that actually applies a few revisions back---

When moving on ice, if you roll in the opposite direction, your speed doesn't change as it should. It should reverse impulse to the direction you're sliding.

And an error with this-

You're able to roll while swinging your boomerang. If you do this, it'll lock out your movements, and keep the player from moving.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 08:54:06 am »
Thnx Skeme KOS and Mamoruanime for your comments and testing. I have updated the rar file, with a number of fixes. See the first post for the updated version.

1) Fixed the rolling in that when you start rolling in the opposite direction of sliding, the momentum gets reversed. I hope the behavior of rolling is correct now, because it still kind of confuses me. (Would appreciate some C+C)

2) Now when you press an item button, like the boomerang, it will automatically disable the action button. Thus no more rolling when throwing the boomerang.

3) A block can now be pushed in a hole. I know I need to have an animation for the falling, instead of it just disappearing. Need to rip it first though.

4) When the Boomerang keeps holding position until the timer runs out, when you keep the button pressed is normal behavior. I did find the glitch that when you release the button before the timer runs out the boomerang won't return. This happened no matter where the boomerang is. This bug has been fixed as well.

im not sure what you mean by writing an item/action script for the CP. could you please explain an item/action script and tell me what CP stands for?
CP stands for Community Project. A project where any member of this forum can help with. At the moment it is this engine that you have been helping to test.

item/action script: Link can perform a number of actions in the game that are started with the push of a button. Item scripts are the actions Link does with the help of a weapon. These are started with the press of the Z(A) key and the X(B) key. Action scripts are actions Link can do when the situation in the game is right for it. They are started with the press of the S(R) key. These do not require an weapon, but more often another object to work on. These scripts can be found under Scripts->LinkActions.

If you decide to help out, I suggest you look through the code in the Link object, especially the Create Event. Study up on the other item/action scripts. And then make something your self. For quality control and to see if it fits with the engine, 4Sword or I will check your code and work.

Requirements:
1) Behavior has to be Minish Cap Style. Thus the action needs to occur in the Minish Cap.
2) Graphics have to be from MC, unless using masks or placeholders.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:48:53 am »
Mammy had found another little bug. Well it was something I already fixed in the GM8 version, but forgot to port to the GM7 version. I reuploaded everything with the fix.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 11:58:15 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well; it was quite enjoyable playing Linksonic the Hedgekokiri for a little while anyway :p
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 12:03:42 pm »
Well, the glitch was in this part of objLink->Step Event

Code: [Select]
//The part that checks context sensitive situations.
var cont;
cont = true;
//do some context checking
if(state == LinkNormal){
    //If the Lantern is lit check if he collides with a flamable object
    if(lanternLit)
        cont = !flamable_check(8,width_f,height_f*0.75,genFlamable);
    if(cont)
        //Check for something to push
        cont = !push_check(3,width_f,height_f*0.75,parPushable);

//pick action for context button
    if(moving)
        scr_R = LinkRoll;
    else
        scr_R = 0;
}else if(state == -3){
    push_check(3,width_f,height_f*0.75,parPushable);

//pick action for context button
    if(moving && able_x && able_y)
        scr_R = LinkRoll;
    else
        scr_R = 0;
}else{
    scr_R = 0;
}

Remove the final 'else' block and you can play Linksonic the Hedgekokiri again.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 09:03:04 pm »
  • Xiphirx
Well; it was quite enjoyable playing Linksonic the Hedgekokiri for a little while anyway :p
*patents name*
  • For The Swarm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 59 queries.

anything