Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Demo] Phantasy Blade - Alpha 4 - A sci-fi zelda-clone!  (Read 4595 times)

[Demo] Phantasy Blade - Alpha 4 - A sci-fi zelda...
« on: December 03, 2009, 08:06:39 am »
THIS IS ONLY A ENGINE DEMO, NOT THE FULL GAME

Brief description:
Phantasy Blade is a zelda clone. The final version of the game will have puzzles, dungeons, items to use, and lots of secrets to uncover.

(Graphics are temp.)

-click to play-
http://cypri.phppoll.org/java/phantasyblade.jnlp
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:16:03 pm by CyanPrime »
Re: Phantasy Blade - Alpha 3
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:25:07 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Ok, no one has replied to this, so I figured I should say something.

Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of good things to say, just some advice.
I know this is a WIP though, so I didn't expect it to be very polished.

Good things:
- The graphics were pretty good.
- Green sword... that was just cool to me. ^_^
- Reminded me of Zelda 1 (probably the sword attacks and enemy AI, lol)

Bad things:
- Movement engine needs work. For example, you can hold more than one direction and the character will continue his walking animation but won't move, or he moves in a direction he is not facing.
- The fog moves... wrong?
- Collisions with walls feels strange. Can't you make it more precise?
- Enemy AI needs work. Maybe make them come at you if you attack them or if they see you?
- The music that loops is very short and it got annoying. Possibly have music that is more interesting and longer?
- The sound effects will need improvement in quality.
- The view seems huge for such small characters and it makes it feel like you move slow and also, seeing more landscape at once like that makes it feel a little empty. I really think that it would look better if the view was zoomed in and/or the res was 2x the size.

I'm sure you already planned on fixing a lot of that up later on anyway.
In all honesty though, this has a long way to go. With work, it can be good and with hard work, it can be great. Good luck! :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:37:10 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:03:43 am »
How is this for zoomed in? http://imgur.com/rmM7E.png
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:56:05 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Well, if you "zoom" in, you should probably do it with the HUD and the cloud effect (if possible) as well. Otherwise it makes the graphics inconsistent. It's like mixing higher res with retro pixel graphics. In most cases, you want to go to either extreme and not in between.

Still though, I might have been wrong to suggest that you zoom in because of the graphics style anyway.

Now that I've seen it, I think it would probably be better just to make the entire window size smaller so you can't see so much of the playing field; keeping the graphics normal size without zooming in.

So, like you had it in the first place, but just a smaller view.

This is just my opinion. It would be great if someone else would be nice enough to pitch in with their own thoughts.
*hint hint ZFGC'rs* :P
  • My Music
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 06:00:25 am »
Game Requirements:
1. Upon first appearance, a topic should have at minimum 4 screenshots.
2. After first appearance, a topic should primarily consist of one or more of the following:
  a. Demo - something a user downloads, more than a walking demo.
  b. Trailer - shows actual gameplay, not just still images in a video.
  c. Screenshots - 2 new screenshots each month, consisting of different parts of the game.
3. Each topic's title should be tagged either [Demo], [Trailer], or [Screens] based on Req #2.

Hey, sorry this is a bit late but the past few weeks I was busy with school. Anyway it's nice to see someone new here and also that you're posting a project. It'd be cool to see more screenshots about it before playing though and more people might comment on it or try it out if they knew there was a demo. It's kind of rare to see Java games here.
Re: [Demo] Phantasy Blade - Alpha 4 - A sci-fi z...
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:18:58 pm »
Alright, it's been a while, but there's a new demo out!

check out these screenshots!

-New collision detection!
-made the gun not suck!
-new enemy AI!
-new puzzle elements, can you figure them out?

Play Phantasy Blade by clicking my sig, or the link in the top post!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:38:57 pm »
Nice to see projects being worked on. However I must say I kinda dislike the graphics. They are such mixed styles.
- The characters are really pixelated, while the trees and cliffs are with more detail and seem of a higher resolution than the characters. And should the characters be like giants taller then the trees?
- Then the blocks are really simplistic and unshaded, but I assume those are at least place holder sprites.
- The HUD is once again really different. It looks as if it comes from a Sci-fi game current generation consoles, with transparency, gradient and glass effect. It looks really cool and all, but it clashes with the rest of the game. Oh yeah how you have laid out the HUD it seems as if it is just piled together without thought. And does the HUD obscure some doorway or passage in the second screen?

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 11:39:30 pm »
erm not sure if I should post here on on the other thread,  I enjoyed the demo, but whats up with the sword dash attack? the one you just slide from one side to the other of the room? you should be able to stop that attack whenever you want. The Hud is too big for my taste. Btw, I would like to know more about the story the environment and such, the hud and menus gives me a futuristic look but the tiles prove the other way, maybe thats due to being just in alpha stage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 53 queries.