Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Link Ledge Jumping  (Read 3426 times)

Link Ledge Jumping
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:32:44 am »
Update 2009-09-14: New version of the ledge jumping.

-----------------
Okay, got a bit ahead and tried to make the Ledge Jumping in MC style. I think it is close to the behavior as it should be, but still I think there is something wrong with it. So I'll post it here to see what you guys think.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:45:50 pm by Niek »
Re: Link Ledge Jumping
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 08:34:59 pm »
No one has any comments to make?  :huh:
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 08:43:24 pm »
I was going to comment sometime, but I have been working on making the ice movement have more of a grip. There is a slight "glitch" made when you go to the bottom left of the screen to where those jump blocks look like two right triangles sitting next to each other. If you run right, and it makes the jump, if you sometimes keep pressing right you'll go through the other jump blocks when you land even though you'r not supposed to. I don't know how much this would occur in a game setting though because typically jump blocks of differing directions wouldn't be so close together like that.

The speed of Link moving over the jump point seems a bit right, but the Minish Cap does something to where Link is draw; it's more easily visible over larger distances. Essentially all that it is needed for jumping is a jump block, and then solids set up that you can't land on; the act of the jump just goes to the next available space in the direction of the jump.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:55:38 am »
The speed of Link moving over the jump point seems a bit right, but the Minish Cap does something to where Link is draw; it's more easily visible over larger distances.

Sorry for the late reply. Had to do some machine learning. But for the ledgejumping I checked that with VBA frame by frame. And I noticed the following:
* From the moment the ledge jumping begins the shadow moves at 3 pixels per updated frame.
* In the beginning the distance between the shadow and Link increase gradually to a maximum of 2 tiles (or 1 tile when going up, left or right in the overworld due to the 3/4 perspective)
* Ledges are always the size of 1 or 2 tiles. At the landing place there is always free space of at least 2 tiles.
* The only ledge that is higher is in the Temple of Droplets, but I think a special version is used there.
* When Link lands he always lands exactly on the tile after the ledge.

Essentially all that it is needed for jumping is a jump block, and then solids set up that you can't land on; the act of the jump just goes to the next available space in the direction of the jump.
That is easily fixed. The ledge objects have parSolid as their parent. It will also require that the masks for ice and solids be made 16x16, but that is an afterthought.

There is a slight "glitch" made when you go to the bottom left of the screen to where those jump blocks look like two right triangles sitting next to each other. If you run right, and it makes the jump, if you sometimes keep pressing right you'll go through the other jump blocks when you land even though you're not supposed to. I don't know how much this would occur in a game setting though because typically jump blocks of differing directions wouldn't be so close together like that.

I placed those blocks so close together, for the calibration to land link exactly on the next available tile (meaning in either the y or x direction and not both) and not over or before that. But the landing doesn't work that well. Link either ends up colliding with the ledge and gets stuck. Or collides with the parSolid on the next tile. This is for going left and right the same. What is different is that after the landing, when you continue going left after a left you Link gets set back to the contact point, but in the right direction Link walks all over the parSolid. And this is the strangest thing I can't solve.

But I will take a look at it some more.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:57:13 am by Niek »
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 10:22:15 pm »
Okay the calibration didn't really work. So I started from semi-scratch. In this case I used a path planning. Because at the start of the Ledge Jumping the position of landing can be determined. Also the number of frame updates can be determined, which is usefull for determining the offset between Link and the shadow.

Well the new version is attached. Please test it and tell me if it is any good.

EDIT: Whoops made a small mistake. Updated the file again.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:06:47 pm by Niek »
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 09:43:06 am »
Okay another little update. I have added sound effects to the ledgejumping and falling. I had the image speed of the falling on 0.5 but that was to fast it needed to be on 0.125, which makes the falling a lot longer.

I got the sound effects from HelpTheWretched. But the guy didn't have the landing sound for Link from MC, so I took the one from ALttP which is really similar.

EDIT: Fixed! The sound that is repeated with the running, when played once is the sound for landing.

Next up, I'm going to attempt making a multistage weapon: the bow. But I am looking for some bow sprites separated from Link.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:48:42 am by Niek »
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 03:48:41 pm »
Thanks to Skeme KOS an error in the ledge jumping was discovered. I had used place_meeting() in my code where I should have used position_meeting. This resulted in the fact that Link could get stuck in a solid after the ledge jump. This has now been fixed.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 03:53:43 pm »
Thanks to Skeme KOS an error in the ledge jumping was discovered. I had used place_meeting() in my code where I should have used position_meeting. This resulted in the fact that Link could get stuck in a solid after the ledge jump. This has now been fixed.

nice! glad i found that glitch for you. best to eliminate something like that early on. these engines are are turning out amazingly well btw. i only wish i were any where near as good as you guys at coding as i would love to help out. as i said before, if you need any sprites i can help with that but thats all im afraid. dont worry, im not a noob lol. hopefully my zelda game demo that i will be putting up in a few months will prove that.
anyway, keep it up guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 53 queries.

anything