Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a Game is not Easy  (Read 2328 times)

Creating a Game is not Easy
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:47:14 am »
You know the feeling of wanting to create a game with that just astounding concept of how the game is going to be like and what you want to do with it.

Its all good and ready to go, you can just imagine what is going to happen, what your game is all about and are ready to surf the net looking for a game engine or build one yourself, but then it hits you as you open the 3D or 2D game engine and sit for 5 minutes telling yourself... just what am I creating?

A very common things most people do is assume they have a great idea and want to instantly dive into making a game... but it just does not happen like that at all.

Being both an artist and designer, I create art, assets and other types of material to prepare myself for the bigger games.

Whether it is 2D or 3D you are going for, the concept works entirely the same exact way, you need an idea and a plan.

Would you believe me if I mentioned the successful game I have worked on with a few members took over more than a year and a half just to get into development?
Its called The Legend of Zelda: Secret Depths of the Unicorns Lair, and it is NOT easy to work with.

You have 3D models, animations, slightly different portions for animations, music, ambient sounds, sound effects, lighting, shadowing, textures, 3D modeling to craft, enemies, items, weapons... the list goes on.

That may take around 30 seconds to say in just a few breaths but that really does seem like a lot to play around with, does it not?

That's the idea, games consist of elements that make up the game and for one to make a game happen it has to come from many people and not just you.
You may be an excellent programmer, but once the graphics, models and artistic area comes to play in your game, you are stuck with things you do not know how to deal with, thus halting your game.

There is a problem that a lot of people have, its called an idea and a concept.
How are you going to make a game work without models, art, textures and the other numerous parts of a game?
The point is to collaborate together to make a game and just trying to make one by yourself is not easy at all.

I am not being paid to make games but that will eventually change, and I usually gain dedicated people to help my games out and in the end, I gain even more experience from it.

It all starts from an idea, a concept, writing things down and letting your imagination taking you in a place where ideas flourish and creativity ensues.

You want to make a game, right?
Trust me, everyone does, but you need the right attitude, dedication, skills and the determination to build a game without expecting others to do the work for you.

To be honest, we need more original people out there who do not use fancy graphics or fake their game with graphics when the game-play can't even follow the game without the entire game literally falling apart.

To those of you trying hard in 3D, I really applaud you for the hard-work and dedication to doing such tasks.

2D games, Zelda of course for this site, is literally just re-coloring a game and re-using existing content to make your own adventure and it is tried and done, anyone can do it with the right skill and dedication.
However, 2D is so common, but what if content was never available and you had to make it all from scratch?
That means you have no skill what-so-ever other than programming.

It doesn't stop there, you need to put yourself in the place of an artist and think about your game, what it will be and how it will play out.
Don't go for the obvious things like saving the day or damsel in distress, unless you are doing testing and ai stuff that are essential skills to make a successful game.

I urge you to really think about what to make and what you want to do, in the end it is WELL worth it and it pays off.
Yeah I know, 3D is difficult but it also means a challenge.

Encouragingly, I urge you people to be more creative and make games with more meaning than a re-hash and recycled content for existing games.
If you want to make a Zelda game, be original... those are the games which stand out the most and are usually successful, plus they are fun because there is more of a "wow" factor due to you creating it :)

I wish you people luck!
Game Designer and Artist

My Zelda Projects Official Site:
http://unicornslair.byethost17.com

I encourage you, please rate my Project here!
  • The Legend of Zelda: Secret Depths of the Unicorns Lair

hacker013

Zelda Fan Game Programmer
Re: Creating a Game is not Easy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:13:00 am »
  • Ura Zelda Project Rocks
The most time people have original ideas and have the will to make it but then people come and react on topic that they don't gonna make it. They mostly only say negative things. Instead of saying things which can help them. I think people could better motivate people then demotivate them. In the 3 years I only worked on 2 Zelda games, the first on I stopped because people only said that I not going to finish that and that it is to big for me(I still worked more then 2 years on it). A few months ago I decide to start a new project which I'm still working on. So it isn't that people don't have the ideas and the will but the people who react on the most topic are negative if they don't see in the first topic beautiful screenshots and even a demo.

This was my 10 cent. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:00:35 pm by hacker013 »
  • Ura Zelda Project
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:05:11 pm »
True. I agree with what you said.

I'd also like to add: making a game takes time, time, a lot of time you could be spending with other things. It's frustrating when it starts to get boring after some 6 months of work, and you see you won't finish it so early. IMO: You're spending your free time on it, so you're supposed to be doing a pleasurable work. So we should plan games before making them, whether it's going to be fun to make it, if we'll have difficulties to make it, and how much time we'll spend doing them. And all other things we could be doing using the time we spent on making games, everyday, for months/years. Unless you, for instance, want to be a professional and think of it as a challenge to get experience, then it's different.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 06:32:28 pm »
Janet Merai: This is a really good motivation for someone who just is going to start. I can't make up if you're being sarcastic or not. But the message I can make out from your post is that if you aren't a good artist in making visual or audio assets, then don't bother trying. I don't really agree with you at all. I would say always try, as long as you learn from your mistakes. Just don't expect everyone to like it.

2D games, Zelda of course for this site, is literally just recoloring a game and reusing existing content to make your own adventure and it is tried and done, anyone can do it with the right skill and dedication.
However, 2D is so common, but what if content was never available and you had to make it all from scratch?
That means you have no skill whatsoever other than programming.

Really, starting from scratch. Only idiots and professionals start from scratch, because your not going to invent the wheel all by your self all over again. Skills have to be learned and you start at the beginning which is the most interesting. If you want to learn programming then you start programming, if you want to make graphics you start there. The rest can be found on the internet. But even professionals don't completely start from scratch. They have been trying out assets in previous projects, that weren't accepted or made them in their spare time. They use these, make some alterations to fit them with the rest of the game and submit it. Sometimes a completely new asset has to be made, but not every asset in a game has to be build from the ground up. Reusing content may be tried and done, but not by everyone.

Encouragingly, I urge you people to be more creative and make games with more meaning than a rehash and recycled content for existing games.
If you want to make a Zelda game, be original... those are the games which stand out the most and are usually successful, plus they are fun because there is more of a "wow" factor due to you creating it Smiley

Making an existing Zelda game with another graphics style is being creative as well. If your using the same graphics style OK, but your using another style. This means that things can't be copied 1-on-1. You have to really think about how to do things. Problems arise and you have to work around it, without damaging the charm of the style or the original version. And an original game isn't always more fun or has more "wow", because easier fall apart than a game which is played and tested.

Would you believe me if I mentioned the successful game I have worked on with a few members took over more than a year and a half just to get into development?
Its called The Legend of Zelda: Secret Depths of the Unicorns Lair, and it is NOT easy to work with.

You have 3D models, animations, slightly different portions for animations, music, ambient sounds, sound effects, lighting, shadowing, textures, 3D modeling to craft, enemies, items, weapons... the list goes on.

That may take around 30 seconds to say in just a few breaths but that really does seem like a lot to play around with, does it not?

That's the idea, games consist of elements that make up the game and for one to make a game happen it has to come from many people and not just you.
You may be an excellent programmer, but once the graphics, models and artistic area comes to play in your game, you are stuck with things you do not know how to deal with, thus halting your game.

There is a problem that a lot of people have, its called an idea and a concept.
How are you going to make a game work without models, art, textures and the other numerous parts of a game?

I agree with you that it takes time to create a game, but how long it takes often depends on the size of your game. You can take years to develop it or just six months. The size of the game doesn't determine if it is a good game or not. I also agree that you have to think things through to make a concept a reality, but I also know that this skill is mostly learned through trial and error. Therefore not making failures is a bigger failure.

The point is to collaborate together to make a game and just trying to make one by yourself is not easy at all.

I am not being paid to make games but that will eventually change, and I usually gain dedicated people to help my games out and in the end, I gain even more experience from it.

True you will have to collaborate with many people in order to accomplish your game, but there always has to be one person that stands at the wheel, or you will only get endless discussions without results and the project will come to a halt. Therefore one person has to be the captain, with the determining vote and the most dedication to the project.

hacker013 also makes a valid point. The reason why people lose interest with their projects is because of no to negative feedback. But on the other side, it often also shows how poorly some concepts are thought through, before announcement.

Well these are my 10 cents I have to go now.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 04:15:16 am »
  • :D
In my experience, creating a game IS easy, if you have a team of talented people who work together.  That part is usually quite difficult to find however.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:24:10 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Creating a game is easy if you know what you're doing before hand and have already designed the objects and functions and classes and member functions and everything else you need on a giant flowchart by the time you begin.

But then it's just boring ;)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:28:59 pm »
Creating a game is easy if you know what you're doing before hand and have already designed the objects and functions and classes and member functions and everything else you need on a giant flowchart by the time you begin.

But then it's just boring ;)

In other words creating a game is easy if you have thought things through and know what your doing and what is possible.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 04:11:52 pm »
Meh, skimmed over the topic. I disagree with Janet a lot because 3D is not 2D. As for why 2D is hard, take OoT2D for example. It was 3D at first, and designed for the abilities that 3D had to offer. If you're going to convert it to 2D, you have to figure out what will not work in the transition and find a good substitute. Obviously jumping cliff to cliff won't work so well in 2D, so you have to find something else to use. But if you really wanted to have jumping cliff to cliff in your game, then you'd have to figure out how to program it because it hasn't been done in a 2D Zelda game before.

As for the process of creating a game, I do agree on the amount of work it takes. First you have to plan it, how things will work, what you will use, who to give credit to, etc...and the actual development may not start for a year as you said. It will start to get boring if you do it all yourself, unless your game is purely original.

The process requires a team that has the same goals as you, the same ambitions. That's what ZFGC partially is. That's why we have a graphics forum, an audio forum, and an "omg what do I do now help me" forum. Everyone helps eachother here. It just may not seem like it to you because we are primarily 2D, not 3D.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 04:22:31 pm »
But if you really wanted to have jumping cliff to cliff in your game, then you'd have to figure out how to program it because it hasn't been done in a 2D Zelda game before
It has been done in Zelda 2D game befor but not with Game Maker 7. I think you mean Game Maker 7. :p

And making a game is not hard if you are ready to start something big, many people quit just becouse of their laziness. Also, you need to have some experience in what your doing. Dont start with making stuff that is to hard for you to make, start with something easy.
Thats the basic steps. Hadle them and you can create a game.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 02:18:51 am »
Sorry if my advice and ideas offended anyone, I am mostly an artist and gave an artistic perspective on creating games, and I thank you for all of your input as well :)
Game Designer and Artist

My Zelda Projects Official Site:
http://unicornslair.byethost17.com

I encourage you, please rate my Project here!
  • The Legend of Zelda: Secret Depths of the Unicorns Lair
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 57 queries.