Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A book I bought is missing the last 50 pages  (Read 5109 times)

A book I bought is missing the last 50 pages
« on: January 17, 2009, 05:08:36 am »
So after reading for about a month, I found out that the copy of Atlas Shrugged I ordered from amazon.com is literally missing the last 51 pages. They are simply not there. The book stops on page 1141 when it should go to 1192 pages. It just cuts off right in the middle of a chapter.

This is the most frustrating and outrageous thing that has happened to me in a long time.

The irony of the whole mess is that the book portrays a society where the men who us their rational minds--the creators--have essentially abandoned the world because of the men who don't use their minds--the parasites. The world crumbles with error after error as men all claim that it wasn't their fault, that they couldn't do anything about it. Gone are the people that created the machines and the systems that worked, and left behind are the people who don't understand how a machine works, but only knows how they've been told to operate it. When something happens that they don't understand, they don't do anything: they don't know any better, it's not their fault, it's not their responsibility.

And so here I am, prevented from finishing what is the greatest book I've ever read, and I'm not even qualified to use that tense.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
Re: A book I bought is missing the last 50 pages
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 05:17:32 am »
Considering that you are going to college, it'd be a surprise if they did not have the book in their library. But yeah, getting a book that has been desecrated like that is disappointing and wrong.

gm112

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 05:18:27 am »
So after reading for about a month, I found out that the copy of Atlas Shrugged I ordered from amazon.com is literally missing the last 51 pages. They are simply not there. The book stops on page 1141 when it should go to 1192 pages. It just cuts off right in the middle of a chapter.

This is the most frustrating and outrageous thing that has happened to me in a long time.

The irony of the whole mess is that the book portrays a society where the men who us their rational minds--the creators--have essentially abandoned the world because of the men who don't use their minds--the parasites. The world crumbles with error after error as men all claim that it wasn't their fault, that they couldn't do anything about it. Gone are the people that created the machines and the systems that worked, and left behind are the people who don't understand how a machine works, but only knows how they've been told to operate it. When something happens that they don't understand, they don't do anything: they don't know any better, it's not their fault, it's not their responsibility.

And so here I am, prevented from finishing what is the greatest book I've ever read, and I'm not even qualified to use that tense.
I agree with 4Sword, fuckers.. I'm sorry, man :(. Sucks you can't get a refund or anything.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 05:26:50 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
Talk about a cliffhanger.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 05:26:58 am »
Considering that you are going to college, it'd be a surprise if they did not have the book in their library. But yeah, getting a book that has been desecrated like that is disappointing and wrong.

My school library's website says that it's checked out and due back in May. It said that when I ordered the book in November. I find that interesting, considering that they usually only let you check books out for a month.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 10:50:17 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
Book sounds good, although I don't think leaving the world because there is the inevitable stupidity (Only two infinites in the universe, the universe and stupidity, or however it goes) is very rational, although it may just be a metaphor for when the people who were used to work and solving problems essentially die out and leave people who can't handle something that goes wrong... I'll have to put it on 'The list'

Also, I'm sure you could find another library to copy down those last fifty or so pages. ;)
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 11:14:35 am »
This happens to me all the time when I order from amazon :S.

I once ordered one book from a series, the first half was the correct book, the second half was of the sequal >_<. I sent it back to get replaced, guess what? The new book had the same problem, only in reverse >_>.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 01:09:32 am »
Book sounds good, although I don't think leaving the world because there is the inevitable stupidity (Only two infinites in the universe, the universe and stupidity, or however it goes) is very rational, although it may just be a metaphor for when the people who were used to work and solving problems essentially die out and leave people who can't handle something that goes wrong... I'll have to put it on 'The list'

It was really a rough summary, the premise of the book isn't exactly like that. I highly recommend it, though.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 09:30:32 am »
  • Silly cat!
BioShock, etc.

I've always wanted to read Atlas Shrugged. I love the dystopian stuff... at least, I loved Nineteen-Eighty Four.

Also, that's very odd. I'd say something like "are you sure the book is not supposed to end there?" but that would be a foolish thing that only a foolishly foolish fool would say.

Hoffy.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 05:02:19 pm »
  • =/
 I own it... I could paste it page by page if you wish to read the rest?

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 11:13:00 pm »
Talk about a cliffhanger.
I lol'd.

I own it... I could paste it page by page if you wish to read the rest?
I wish you wouldn't have posted. It would have been hilarious if that really WAS the end of the book, judging from IL's first post, haha.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 01:30:07 am »
This topic proves that you just shouldn't buy books

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 02:02:33 am »
This topic proves that you just shouldn't read books
 While the content of what you said alters what was originally said, posting alterations like this presents an issue of lack of content.
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 06:57:29 pm »
  • I put this here for the sake of that one thread
That's stupid, you'd think they could do !@#$% better.

I </3 Sol
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 12:58:23 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev

I once ordered one book from a series, the first half was the correct book, the second half was of the sequal >_<. I sent it back to get replaced, guess what? The new book had the same problem, only in reverse >_>.

So at that point you had both halves of both books. Hoorah!

Relatedly: Dang, that sucks. D:
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 01:41:30 pm »

So at that point you had both halves of both books. Hoorah!

Relatedly: Dang, that sucks. D:

I wish :(. Had to send the first book back to get the second one. Gave up trying to get it fixed after that.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 12:08:02 am »
  • Silly cat!
Buy books? Yes, probably. Libraries exist for a reason I suppose.

Read books? *Kills FISSURE*

Hoffy.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 03:32:28 am »
Well, I've been talking with the people at Amazon, and they're sending me a new copy, which should arrive tomorrow. With any luck, I'll finally be able to finish this amazing book by dinner.

I hit a snag in returning my defective copy, looks like I'll have to take it directly to a post office instead of sending it from my dorm's mail room. Oh well, just a minor inconvenience when compared to everything I've had to go through to finish this book.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 10:49:03 am »
  • I need something new to put here...

But with some types of books, such as a book series really long (Wheel of Time lol) you should because everything is inter-related and I have to keep flicking back and forth through them to figure out where one guy comes from etc. Such as a character coming back from two or three books back.
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 04:00:37 pm »

But with some types of books, such as a book series really long (Wheel of Time lol) you should because everything is inter-related and I have to keep flicking back and forth through them to figure out where one guy comes from etc. Such as a character coming back from two or three books back.

Well, there is such a thing as the internet...

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 4468-1342-3783
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 77 queries.