Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experimental cave music  (Read 2595 times)

Experimental cave music
« on: January 11, 2009, 09:59:05 pm »
  • Drop down and give me 9000!
Well folks I tried making some RPG influenced "cave music" that might sound good enough to be in a game. I don't have the best instruments to work with but here goes:

http://www.box.net/shared/6ml20dnud6

What does you think?
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
Re: Experimental cave music
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:17:29 pm »
Sounds nice enough but until the chior comes in it's a bit hard to get a feeling of beat because of the uncommon time signature.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:03:28 pm »
Sounds nice enough but until the chior comes in it's a bit hard to get a feeling of beat because of the uncommon time signature.
Hmmm I see what you mean there, since I like progressive music though it's fun getting into all sorts of different timings.

I need to learn to vary it around though to make it more listenable. Perhaps I should change it to a 12/8 beat then at some point when the choir kicks in it comes to the 13/8 breakdown or whatever it's called these days. Speaking of the choir, I need to find better soundfonts or get my hands on some choir virtual instruments, commercial would be the way to go to improve the sound.

If I'm interested in submitting a track for OCReMix for now I should focus on making a rock/metal track because I do have the necessary equipment to make a professional quality track. But with all this it's more just about the composition than the sound until I decide to go professional.
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:17:45 am »
  • Oh.
I don't know anything about time signatures or any of that crap, but it sounds good.
Hm.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 03:50:39 am »
it kind of reminds me of some of the cave music form the old dos game hexen but only not as midi like and it doesn't sound too bad, its actually quite good, nice work.
/*http://raptr.com/Doomsfall?src=em_allsm]http://raptr.com/badge/Doomsfall/fss_overall.png*/
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 08:50:23 pm »
  • Oh.
it kind of reminds me of some of the cave music form the old dos game hexen but only not as midi like and it doesn't sound too bad, its actually quite good, nice work.

I liked Hexen!  Hexen 2 was great as well.
Hm.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 02:23:26 am »
Wow, very well composed, quite creative. It sounds excelent, though I'd choose other instruments - IMO, these don't sound much like a cave.
I hadn't realised the 13/8 signature at first, but it doesn't sound strange at all, I think that's what makes the song exotic.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:53:30 am »
The first half definitely sounds very cave-like.  When the piano starts and whatever else is in there it flows nicely, but when the choir is singing in beats rather than long notes, it sounds like a different song and the choir beats sound fake because of the repetition.  Overall very good, but I think I'd like it a lot more if it had a section in the end that tied it all together and made it loop more properly.  It's good, but the spacey ending suddenly peters off and decides it's not going anywhere after all.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 10:51:28 pm »
Thanks for comments, I appreciate that some of you have had time to listen this to give feedback. I'm not entirely sure on the instruments I've used either, any suggestions to what could be changed?

The first half definitely sounds very cave-like.  When the piano starts and whatever else is in there it flows nicely, but when the choir is singing in beats rather than long notes, it sounds like a different song and the choir beats sound fake because of the repetition.  Overall very good, but I think I'd like it a lot more if it had a section in the end that tied it all together and made it loop more properly.  It's good, but the spacey ending suddenly peters off and decides it's not going anywhere after all.
Haha, yeah that last sentence pretty much sounds like me. Yeah it is a tiny bit repetitive and the choir could be improved I guess, I'm much better at writing rock and metal tracks but I like to experiment. The end seems like it's about to go somewhere but then it doesn't and the track just screams "Oh look, a squirrel!" and wanders off. Well thanks for the constructive criticism. The final version will be entirely different, there will be many versions of this too, but don't expect much for at least a few weeks as I am busy working on my attempt to make an ocremix.
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 11:18:20 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine

I liked Hexen!  Hexen 2 was great as well.

Hexen is terrible. Just plain terrible.  :P

Anyway. I loved the track, it sounds like something from Golden Sun, which happen to be 2 of my favourite RPGs ever, and im a bit of an RPG nut. The composition is as good quality as the track from such great RPGs, but like you've said, the instrument sounds could be better. The 13/8 time signature works great, and is subtle... (well, as subtle as a time signature can be...)

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 57 queries.

anything