Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: [Alpha] Map Editor 0.7a  (Read 16602 times)

[Alpha] Map Editor 0.7a
« on: January 11, 2009, 02:16:38 pm »

New Version Released
This version is still preliminary, not all features have been confirmed yet, and there may be some changes in the near future that would break compatibility with previous versions.

The newest version includes export plugin functionality, fixes a few bugs, particularly with how the text is drawn in vista for the scene tree and also another bug where objects would appear to be selected at all times if they were in a tile function.  I've also allowed for local properties for tile functions, you can see an example of this in the metroid/tilefunctions.xml file that's included.

Download

Download Export Plugin Example
The newest version introduces export plugins, you can download the example above to get a better understanding of how they work. Which includes a simple export plugin that will save all tiles to a gml script, and base the depth on custom parameter specified within the tile function.

Current Features
  • Undo/Redo
  • 3D Acceleration
  • Tiling Functions
  • Custom Object Drawing Code (XNA 3.0)
  • Add/Remove/Select/Move Objects
  • Custom Object Properties
  • Snap to Grid
  • Isometric Grid
  • Variable Grid Width/Height
  • Changeable Background Color
  • Rectangle Selection
  • Add/Remove/Select/Delete Tiles
  • Move and Zoom Camera
  • Changeable Map Width/Height
  • Select Multiple Objects
  • *Insert Anything Else I Forgot*

Old Screens

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:04:40 am by Windy »
Re: Map Editor
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 02:26:11 pm »
Looks pretty nice, any change of a demo?

Currently in the Alpha Stage, I've been working on this for quite some time after coming to the conclusion that I probably never will finish what I'm currently working on and drop it like the rest of the stuff I've previously worked on, therefore I figure if I start with the editing tools first, at least I'll have something I can work with the next time I get an idea for a project.
lol, I can relate. Same as me really.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 02:37:56 pm »
looks nice, keep at it!
Looks pretty nice, any change of a demo?

Currently in the Alpha Stage, I've been working on this for quite some time after coming to the conclusion that I probably never will finish what I'm currently working on and drop it like the rest of the stuff I've previously worked on, therefore I figure if I start with the editing tools first, at least I'll have something I can work with the next time I get an idea for a project.
lol, I can relate. Same as me really.
I never finish anything either. It's always a case of I learn too much and I pick out big faults that I can't be assed to correct.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 03:23:44 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Wow thats looks great, any chance of telling is what you're going to be including in it?

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 03:59:41 pm »
I am planning on releasing an alpha demo, at this stage it'll only have what I've shown there atm.  The selection mechanisms are acting a bit funky and overall the general performance seems to be a bit laggy (probably to using GDI+, which I'll probably be replacing with DirectX next time round).

These are the features the alpha will have:
- Add/Delete Tiles
- Add/Delete Objects
- Custom Properties for Objects and Regions (All regions have the same custom properties though)
- Selection Mechanisms (On click, rectangle selection)
- Backgrounds (No customisable properties)

All resources are defined via xml files and for custom properties you're limited to strings, integers and a predefined list containing strings and integers.

At this stage I would view it as just above average for a 2d map editor.  Then from then on its features that I'd liked to have seen in other map editors I've tried (which forced me to design my own).

These are the features that I plan to include sometime in the future once I really get my ball rolling (in order of priority).
- project profiles
- 3d acceleration
- Basic UI Enhancements, such as being able to zoom in and out and being able to adjust the opacity of objects for display purposes, isometric grid
- Export Plugins (The default saving option is xml based)
- Resource Tree
- Tiling Functions
- Custom Object Drawing Code, this should allow people to more easily implement their custom systems and view the effects in real time in the editor
- Being able to split up a map into separate sections from which you can work on individually
- Being able to attach useless pieces of information (sorta like you can do with google maps)
- Online Editing

I really want to avoid trying to cram stuff in there, mainly because I'm more likely to give up due to being overwhelmed by it (knowing me I'll probably resume work on it once I get another project idea).
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 04:19:25 pm »
Finished the Map Properties Dialog (this is where you can put your author, version number etc. it's all custom, so you can define what properties your map should have).

These are the things that are remaining before I can release the alpha version
- Get Tile Selection/Moving Working
- Map Navigation
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 12:31:26 am »
how does it export maps? custom script or xml?
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 08:05:53 am »
how does it export maps? custom script or xml?
They're in an XML format which I created.  Exporter Plugins are on my todo list though, but there is nothing stopping anyone from writing their own converter.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 05:39:58 am »
Ok, first alpha has been released. All resources are externally defined, I haven't started documenting it yet, but I've included some example files that pretty much show off how resources are defined.

http://wwfan.zfgc.com/MapIt.zip

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 05:47:06 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Not bad; UI's a bit confusing but otherwise, nice
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 06:00:55 am »
Not bad; UI's a bit confusing but otherwise, nice
How so?
Re: [Alpha]Map Editor
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 11:59:52 am »
Clean up your ftp stuff for a start :P What happened to your cat :O?

Well, it ran fine under the windows 7 beta, however like mammy said the UI is quite confuzzling. I only worked out how to add an object after trying different combinations of buttons, and the tooltips weren't much help because half of them hadn't been changed :P. I couldn't work out how to add tiles though (if you can add them).
It'd also be good that if you selected an object from the list of objects in the room that it draws a box around it or something. And when you select multiple tiles it updates it as you select them rather than when you let go of the mouse button.
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 02:11:50 pm »
Clean up your ftp stuff for a start :P What happened to your cat :O?

Well, it ran fine under the windows 7 beta, however like mammy said the UI is quite confuzzling. I only worked out how to add an object after trying different combinations of buttons, and the tooltips weren't much help because half of them hadn't been changed :P. I couldn't work out how to add tiles though (if you can add them).
It'd also be good that if you selected an object from the list of objects in the room that it draws a box around it or something. And when you select multiple tiles it updates it as you select them rather than when you let go of the mouse button.
The only ones that didn't have a tooltip were the ones above the treeview and the ones in the tile selector :P

You might be glad to know that begun adding extra tips in the status bar that tell you in what ways you can interact with the control you're hovering over and what will happen if you were to perform that action and on some occasions it will even suggest things if it thinks you aren't using it correctly eg. if you hover over the map with the "Add Object" Button selected without having an object selected in the Object Selector it will tell just that.

You add tiles by right clicking the treeview and adding a tiled section, you then select that tiles section, then the add/remove/select/move icons for tiles will be enabled.  If you want to add multiple tiles, you can either shift or ctrl click.

Currently it does draw a yellow box around the selected object, so I'm thinking I'll probably end up inverting the selected area around the object like I do with every else.

I may think about updating while your selecting stuff, but at the moment it isn't feasible as it would slow it down by a fair bit.

As far as merging the add/remove buttons, I've decided to put that on hold for the moment, just in case it conflicts with any features that I've planned.

I've almost finished adding the project profiles, just a few more things I have to work out and I'll be done with that.  Then I can get started on adding 3D acceleration, fortunately I have a head start on that.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 08:04:43 am »
Your project sounds promising. But I have to agree that the user interface is a bit confusing. Also an additional 'help -> Contents', which explains the functionality of your program couldn't hurt.

Secondly I must say that the only 'Object' I could find in your program was the Octorock. Could this be right? If so, how do you add other objects? Do I have to dump picture files in a map somewhere, or do I also have to add a description of it in one of the XML files?

From your discussion up here I can formulate that your map will be in saved in an XML format, but my question is then:"Can these maps be used in tools (such as GameMaker) to create rooms and playing fields, or does it require from me that I have to write my own game engine that can read your maps?" I have been looking for something besides Photoshop which would allow me to make maps really easy, which I can then use in GameMaker for the rooms.

PS: During my try out, I got an "UnhandledException" when I removed one Octorock. When I pressed continue all my Octorocks where gone.
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 02:32:18 pm »
Another version.  This on includes everything before the Export Plugins.  Also as it now uses the XNA 3.0 framework it requires Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 3.0.

http://wwfan.zfgc.com/MapIt2.zip

Next version will include the Export Plugin stuff done and I'll add a plugin including the source in as an example.  Followed by more UI Enhancements, Bug Fixes etc.

Then I'll probably be more open to suggestions for features to include.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 04:32:36 pm »
Are you sure that installing XNA 3.0 framework is the only thing it requires, because I'm running it under Vista and it won't start. I get the following error message:
MapIt has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

'[Close Programme]'
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 01:35:44 pm »
Are you sure that installing XNA 3.0 framework is the only thing it requires, because I'm running it under Vista and it won't start. I get the following error message:

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

'[Close Programme]'
I'm pretty sure that the xna 2.0 framework is the only thing, i'll have to try it out on my laptop later as that has vista on it.
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 07:45:44 pm »

'[Close Programme]'
I'm pretty sure that the xna 2.0 framework is the only thing, i'll have to try it out on my laptop later as that has vista on it.

Is it XNA 2.0 or 3.0?
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 09:53:18 pm »
whoops, I meant 3.0.
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 07:22:11 am »
I haven't been able to reproduce that issue on my laptop.  And as nobody else has appeared to have tested it I have no option but to push on.  So I've begun laying out the framework for export plugins.

To begin, I've created a plugin that can export the map to an image file.  I'll then put the source up so that people can then learn from it as such and create their own plugins.

These are additional UI Enhancements that I've decided on so far:
- Undo/Redo
- An option to destroying underlying tiles when a tile is placed over the top
- An option to not allow tiles to be placed over the top of other tiles
- the ability to place multiple tiles when holding down the mouse button

And also, miscellaneous bug fixes / inconsistencies.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 78 queries.

anything