Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MyNetPet  (Read 4492 times)

MyNetPet
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:51:57 pm »
I'm just curious what you think of this idea. Basically a few mates and me from college are thinking of setting up a online pet site for a bit of fun. Basically the idea in simple terms is netpets but with live animals. You can adopt animals and buy food, toys, housing, mates etc and such for them using virtual money which can be gather either through paypal or games and contests on the site. You can view the animals via controllable webcams via a website and interact with them with a few different things we are thinking of hooking up to the webcams. We're thinking this would be a nice idea for people incapable of looking after real pets for one reason or another.

We've got loads of different ideas for the site, for contests, interactivity, etc, etc.

And just before you starts bitching about animal rights, don't worry we've already though of that, we're going to have a orphanage / jail system for the animal and user if any animal is negelected, so the animals won't get harmed at all.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:13:37 pm by Infini »
Re: MyNetPet
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:58:06 pm »
  • ๏̯͡๏﴿
But if they're pixels it shouldn't matter. Also it's to much like Neopets imo.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:00:48 pm »
But if they're pixels it shouldn't matter. Also it's to much like Neopets imo.
Except they are living, not pixels. The idea is essentiallythe same as neopets yup. Except the forms of interaction is totally different, and there are actually consequences for what you do.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:31:33 pm by Infini »

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 09:02:54 pm »
In short: No.

In long: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:03:33 pm »

In long: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Oh go away :P.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:09:31 pm »
Animals are expensive to take care of and they poop a lot.  I would suggest doing this with roosters and have a site name along the line of "Lord of !@#$%".  

Then again, meh.  Startups have to be thought-out more to work right.  Working with a local humane society though might be better as then you would have constantly updating pet identities as some had to be euthanasied and new ones would get there.  Doing a virtual pet set-up with "interaction" side-options to view real pets all while helping an actual humane society would at least be easy enough to make it so a  site user wouldn't have to work all for it while they had the satisfaction of helping.

Then again this idea isn't fleshed out.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 09:19:04 pm »
Animals are expensive to take care of and they poop a lot. 
We've already thought of that. Most of the money will be recoupable with the system we have setup. We're also keeping to smaller animals for the moment to save complexity.

I would suggest doing this with roosters and have a site name along the line of "Lord of !@#$%". 
Oh god, don't tempt me.

Then again, meh.  Startups have to be thought-out more to work right.
Hence the reason I'm asking you at the moment.

Working with a local humane society though might be better as then you would have constantly updating pet identities as some had to be euthanasied and new ones would get there.
Intresting idea. Might look into that.

Doing a virtual pet set-up with "interaction" side-options to view real pets all while helping an actual humane society would at least be easy enough to make it so a  site user wouldn't have to work all for it while they had the satisfaction of helping.
Yeh but then all the fun stuff goes. No mating, children, etc, etc. Though I probably will add a 'virtual-pet' choice to the site.

Then again this idea isn't fleshed out.
You don't say *rolls eyes*.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:25:45 pm by Infini »
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 09:24:19 pm »
I was referring to my idea not being fleshed out, I mean, all I did was lump sentences into a chunk of paragraph.  In fact, the clumpy paragraph was just a direct typing from my inner monologue.  But yeah, humane societies might be open to the idea as they incur operating costs of their own and going into partnership with them would be symbiotic. 
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:37:08 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Using real animals is a bad idea because people like me exist in the world.

'Nuff Said.

Ryan

The only Canadian?
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 09:43:34 pm »
That sounds like a really cool concept actually.
Then people that can't have pets can have a real pet.
:)
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 10:00:06 pm »
Read last paragraph of first post. Don't worry, we're not going to let people intentionally neglect the animals. I'm not an !@#$%.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:02:12 pm by Infini »
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:04:23 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 10:12:08 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Read last paragraph of first post. Don't worry, we're not going to let people intentionally neglect the animals. I'm not an !@#$%.

Malicious people are Malicious. If you let them have any amount of interactivity at all, they'll be Malicious. It doesn't matter how long it takes, one day they'll just get bored, and drop the metaphorical anvil onto the heads of the equally metaphorical toddlers.

That sounds like fun actually....
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 10:13:00 pm »
It's a nice concept. Only how would you fund it? I guess you could make subscription fees. But what about evil people who never play the games and never get money and never buy food for the pets. Would you just NOT feed them? Let them starve to death? Even people who don't just want to kill an animal might accidentally do that. I always forgot to feed my NeoPets a long time ago. I wasn't just little and immature (ok i was) but I'd still forgot to feed them to this day. And I fear I'd do the same with real animals that are being cared for online.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 10:14:54 pm »
I like the idea, but I must agree with TDJ; there is a surmountable amount of !@#$% in this world. Thought you'd of got that after living in England, and I'm not just talking about chavs ;)
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 10:44:04 pm »
It's a nice concept. Only how would you fund it? I guess you could make subscription fees. But what about evil people who never play the games and never get money and never buy food for the pets. Would you just NOT feed them? Let them starve to death? Even people who don't just want to kill an animal might accidentally do that. I always forgot to feed my NeoPets a long time ago. I wasn't just little and immature (ok i was) but I'd still forgot to feed them to this day. And I fear I'd do the same with real animals that are being cared for online.
We have money for startup stuff, and we can get server, webcams and such free. Not to mention we intend to have some form of virtual currancy you can buy extras with, that can be converted from real cash.

Read last paragraph again, and my last post. Course we're not going to "just not feed them". We've got an idea where by if you neglect the animal at all the animal gets removed from your "ownership" and placed in a orphanage area, where we will look after it until someone else decides to buy it. The server thats actually going to be running everything will automate the giving out of food, its easy enough to setup a system where by if you don't feed the animal he is removed from your "ownership" and is instead looked after by us.

Malicious people are Malicious. If you let them have any amount of interactivity at all, they'll be Malicious. It doesn't matter how long it takes, one day they'll just get bored, and drop the metaphorical anvil onto the heads of the equally metaphorical toddlers.
Your just a !@#$% u_u. Nah, we will have methods of stopping people doing anything dumb or assholish.

*ignores vegan*
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:47:41 pm by Infini »

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 11:12:03 pm »
  • Xiphirx
This is a kind of far fetched idea there Infini O_o.

I am guessing you would go rent/buy a place to hold all of the animals. Plus, would these animals be orphans you found on the street? or would you actually buy two opposite sex animals and breed? Plus, if the animals were in cages, how would you pet/play with them? Are you going to make a robotic arm or something O_o.
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 11:19:56 pm »
Right, it's still going to be goddamn expensive. Instead of having a bunch of animals and every user can own an animal... Just order a Panda and have webcams and people can buy it toys with virtual money. One pet, everybody's pet. Call it... OurNetPanda.

:P
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 06:18:47 am »
Yup :P. Stupidity at its finest. Still fun to try though.

I am guessing you would go rent/buy a place to hold all of the animals. Plus, would these animals be orphans you found on the street? or would you actually buy two opposite sex animals and breed?
Actually no. One of my mates has a room available. No renting required. And no, animals would obviously not be half dead things we find on the streets u_u.

Plus, if the animals were in cages, how would you pet/play with them? Are you going to make a robotic arm or something O_o.
Well no, generally online you can't, but then again you can't with neopets or other similar things.

Right, it's still going to be goddamn expensive.
Says you :P. The way we've thought it up it probably won't cost much at all.

Just order a Panda and have webcams and people can buy it toys with virtual money. One pet, everybody's pet. Call it... OurNetPanda.
lol, "order a panda" I wonder how you go about doing that ...

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 07:17:57 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Yup :P. Stupidity at its finest. Still fun to try though.

I am guessing you would go rent/buy a place to hold all of the animals. Plus, would these animals be orphans you found on the street? or would you actually buy two opposite sex animals and breed?
Actually no. One of my mates has a room available. No renting required. And no, animals would obviously not be half dead things we find on the streets u_u.

Plus, if the animals were in cages, how would you pet/play with them? Are you going to make a robotic arm or something O_o.
Well no, generally online you can't, but then again you can't with neopets or other similar things.

Right, it's still going to be goddamn expensive.
Says you :P. The way we've thought it up it probably won't cost much at all.

Just order a Panda and have webcams and people can buy it toys with virtual money. One pet, everybody's pet. Call it... OurNetPanda.
lol, "order a panda" I wonder how you go about doing that ...

I remember way back when BlackNet IRC was up, I started a webcam site involving torturing mice in a way the user describes, actually turned out really fun. Good luck with this man.
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 78 queries.

anything