Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Using VBA to rip sprites  (Read 8137 times)

Re: Using VBA to rip sprites
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 04:36:25 pm »
That's really nice Windy! Keep it up.
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 04:59:10 pm »
Just be aware that there are still issues that need sorting out and that sometimes you won't get what you're after.  Hopefully over time these issues will get sorted out though.
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 07:38:21 pm »
  • Minalien
and that sometimes you won't get what you're after.

Something about that line strikes the fear of God into me about your Avatar ;)

Anyways, looks pretty interesting, Windy. You should consider working on more ripping additions for VBA
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 08:17:53 pm »
  • The Mike
Those are pretty awesome. I'd like to see Vaati if you could do it.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 12:41:54 am »
  • Minalien
Rip Vaati yourself. :/ This is about a TOOL he's working on. He's not offering to rip !@#$%
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 12:45:27 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Rip Vaati yourself. :/ This is about a TOOL he's working on. He's not offering to rip !@#$%

A tool that's available in the WIP downloads =3
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 01:10:13 am »
This will help me out a lot, lol, I can help out with ripping sprites.  Meh.  I have probably said it before, but nice job Windy.
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 05:58:22 pm »
I've been working on a few improvements
- PNG Support
- Fixing up a few miscenaleous bugs related to sprite prioritization (where some sprites aren't ending up in the right order)
- Something I refer to as, "Sprite Movement Indication" which would allow you to select a sprite of a sprite being tracked to use as an indicator that movement has taken place
- Sprite Black/White Listing which should allow you to add exceptions to a tracker (for example, atm when capturing zelda it won't capture the shadow because it uses a different palette, this feature would allow you to add it as an exception so it would get ripped along with it)

I few other concepts I've been taking a look at is the idea of object definition, which would require the use to provide information regarding the sprites they want to rip, this would make it easier to rip a particular set, as it would therefore know precisely what to look for, but would come at a cost.
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 06:50:16 pm »
I've uploaded a new version.
This one fixes a fair share of issues.
- It now uses PNG instead of BMP
- Fixes up several minor sprite prioritisation issues
- Lines are now colored correctly
- Lines will also resize when the screen is resized

DeathTailsz

Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 05:57:37 am »
  • Angelic Hymn
You. Are. God.

It seems very interesting, I still haven't tested it out, but, I know it will come in handy when I need to rip some sprites.

"More like Stupei Ace Defective!" - Yukari - Persona 3
  • StarFox 2D

Elite Jasonic

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 06:23:01 am »
i've been ripping sprites from games like 3-4 years ago but i can find the time to do such things
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 12:54:23 pm »
One thing that has dogged me for quite a while was the "bugginess" of the sprite tracking system that I had created.  Not too long after I had released the first "version" you could say, I attempted to rip the charging and spinning animations from the minish cap only to end up sorely disappointed.  Sprites were being placed in the wrong order and animations of both the sword and link had been partially mashed together, resulting in you seeing frames where the sword and link had been switched so you would end up seeing a sword swinging where you would expect link, and visa versa.

Today however, I think I may have actually fixed it.

(again excuse the crappiness of my animation program)

Another thing that you may notice here is that the shadow seen in all the previous animations has been removed, this due to a change I've made regarding how it creates sprite groups.

Also, I've decided to drop the white/blacklisting idea, it it has become too unfeasible.  I'll have more information on what I intend to do regarding that, later.
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 07:17:56 am »
the output is looking really nice sofar, keep it up :).
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 09:11:44 am »
the output is looking really nice sofar, keep it up :).
Thanks, I wish I could get some more feedback :(

Anyway, I made a few more changes today.
- Sprite groups can only contain one of each sprite
- Improved the tracker system a bit more so when you have 2 identical sprite groups in contact with each other it's able to better discern which one it's supposed to be tracking

Features that I intend to include.
- The ability to group trackers together so they're ripped as one
- The ability to treat an area on screen as being grouped and to also be able to exclude trackers from that area

Once I've done these I believe that there will be nothing left to do as far as features are concerned.

Here's a screenshot demonstrating the changes I've made, as you can see here I have link interacting with Malon here, if you attempt to do this in the current version what will happen is you'll end up with Malon's shadow being considered a part of link's sprite, however as you can see here, such a thing does not happen anymore.
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 09:59:49 am »
Hm. When I clicked rip sprites I got "error creating file: ZDGNEW (some random letters)"
Also, it seemed to run terribly slow. Is that the program, or my openGL support? Because it runs fine on any other mode.
Also, the original VBA has trouble running in openGL on my comp.
Apart from that, I'd really like to use this if I could get it up to a slightly faster speed.
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 02:51:05 pm »
Hm. When I clicked rip sprites I got "error creating file: ZDGNEW (some random letters)"
Also, it seemed to run terribly slow. Is that the program, or my openGL support? Because it runs fine on any other mode.
Also, the original VBA has trouble running in openGL on my comp.
Apart from that, I'd really like to use this if I could get it up to a slightly faster speed.
you need to create a folder in c:\ called "temper".  All rips get stored in that folder, but you have to create it first.

If you're getting slow down just running it while not ripping it might very well be that your computer is just not fast enough to perform all the necessary logic each frame.  You will likely notice the slowdown when ripping though, as it is a fairly intensive process.  All this work only gets performed while using opengl.
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 07:24:34 am »
Aha, you really should say things like that :P.
Anyway, works really nicely actually. the only thing I didn't like was when sprites crossed over, you'd get the ones above link, but you said you've pretty much fixed that now.
I got it to run proper speed when I turned off aero, 100% almost the whole time :). Glad to know that was the problem, before I was getting about 0.5 frames per second :P.
All in all, great program, I hope to see you finish it.
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 09:31:48 pm »
New One, demonstrating the grouping feature and another feature to which I call origin tracking.  The origin tracking feature allows the sprite of link to use the shadow to determine the sprites proper location and to apply the appropriate offsets while the grouping feature allows for two separate sprites to be ripped as one which is quite useful in the situation where they don't even touch each other.

In this particular situation I'm just jumping off a cliff.

Edit:
Oh, and just to better show off the origin tracking feature, here's a keaton.  The keaton is actually a bit harder to rip, mainly because of that god damn knife so it requires more from the end user (using a feature I've yet to mention).  I forgot to group the shadow for this one, which is why you can't see it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:05:45 pm by Windy »
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 12:25:05 am »
Nice going! Having a tracking feature makes it so much easier to rip them.
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2008, 10:07:58 am »

New One again, demonstrating the combined use of the origin tracker and the treat area as grouped function.

The guards are notoriously difficult to rip, there are other methods that you may use to rip them in the new version, but this is the easiest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 77 queries.