Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Recourses setup not really working.  (Read 2504 times)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
New Recourses setup not really working.
« on: February 17, 2008, 09:45:36 pm »
  • Silly cat!
At least, as far as comments are concerned.

Pretty much single piece of sprite work submitted is receiving little to no comments, and I think it's because the board is somewhat cluttered, too hidden, or somehow a little bit too much. The difference being that these topics received at least a few comments before the board was changed to the DeviantArt-styled thing.

It was a good idea, but it doesn't seem to be working O_o

Hoffy.
Re: New Recourses setup not really working.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:55:24 pm »
I agree, I really want to do some kind of grouping of resources (categories maybe?). However Mammy seems to be pretty against this, I think what he wants to do is replace the gallery screen with a 'search' page and enforce the use of tags for the sprites to appear in search results.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:40:10 am »
I agree, I really want to do some kind of grouping of resources (categories maybe?). However Mammy seems to be pretty against this, I think what he wants to do is replace the gallery screen with a 'search' page and enforce the use of tags for the sprites to appear in search results.

Why not do both?  Being able to search and tag sprites/tiles is definitely something vital to the gallery, but folders/categories are just as important, (especially to those submitting original artwork/drawing and those who simply want to browse).

If you were to implement categorization it wouldn't need to include excess sub-categories, just a few simplified main ones, and that's where the usefulness of tagging submissions for the search would come into play the most. For instance if there were only three main categories, (one folder for all Zelda-related resources, one folder for all miscellaneous game resources, and one for all original artwork), you'd want to use the search function to find resources from a specific game or for a specific character. 

At the same time if you weren't sure exactly what you were looking for you could browse through the main category, (maybe having the option to have them listed by popularity, date added, user, comments, etc.), without needing to do multiple searches.  It's pretty hard to accurately search for something if you're not exactly sure what you want.

While the search will definitely help people quickly and easily find what they're looking for, not having browsable categories will hurt those who submit original artwork trying to get feedback and those undecided on what they are trying to find.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:42:01 am by Domo »
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:52:20 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Tagging is VITAL to this system; I plan on doing a lot with that system in the future, so users need to be tagging their resources.

Right now it is too cluttered; a lot of non-resource items have been posted in the resource section :s... Now theres a couple more categories that should help sorting a bit, and if people tag their art properly then we can have some quick-links to specific resources
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 06:54:52 am »
It makes sense to do both.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 06:56:54 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
*reads infinitus's post* XD

Yeah I want to categorize them, but by utilizing the tagging system;

I want to replace the main page with a list of resource types; by clicking that type, it will sort the resources accordingly and only show those results. I dont want people to see the current main page at all :p
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 06:59:10 am »
So you mean the folders will really just be links to automatic searches that search for ones tagged MC etc?
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 07:08:55 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah basically---

I'd also like to change the tags from a textbox to a dropdown list of premade tags, and allow a "custom" tag to be placed
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 08:04:30 am »
This is just my opinion, but I really hate the new resource system!
Having topics to post all your images in a post and then discuss it in a forum-like topic seemed to get a much better response, and it just feels.. better. It's hard to explain, however some problems with the new system would be the many many images... can often get lost or... it just becomes plain overwhelming to sift through pages of separate images... there's virtually no real organization to it :/ At least with the previous system you could find exactly which topic containing the pictures you were searching for just by looking through a quick list.

I don't know, you could try folders, but I still don't like the new system at all XD.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 09:13:05 am »
  • Master Of Disaster
I have to say I agree with the gallery being too cluttered and difficult.
Sprites etc. should be split into different categories/folders, like said before. It would make things so much easier.

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 02:23:54 pm »
Personally, I've always seen the gallery as being a separate thing, rather than being so heavily integrated into the forum. To me, the gallery should be used to just store things that will actually be useful to other people and all the other stuff can go back in its old board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 59 queries.