Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Probabilites are non-sense.  (Read 8668 times)

Re: Probabilites are non-sense.
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2007, 01:01:01 am »
  • 笑い男
who said anything about a snake and winning money? D: lol

this topic is taking up far too much time >_<

hopefully i can leave it here for now :D lol

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2007, 01:13:07 am »
What else would the bet be good for? A bet without anything to bet about is pointless. At least bet for PRIDE. :V

Also, you know, this IS the debates-board after all. We do come here to waste our time about this.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2007, 01:50:07 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
We've established that stuff either happens or it doesn't. Probability just gives you the chance of whether it will happen. Most people know that life doesn't follow pattern, and that even if the odd are 10 ^ 1000000 to one, the event can still occur, but the chance of it, provided by the probability, is quite low. Although the event could occur, it is not very likely to occur. Probability is not a 100% perfect fact, nor will it tell you how to find a free chocolate bar. It acts as an indication, not as a fact. If there was a race between a rock and a rocket, I think the rocket would win, but then again, the rocket could malfunction and be forced to be scratched. Therefore the rock wins. Anything is possible, just not probable.

Fox

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2007, 01:56:45 am »
We've established that stuff either happens or it doesn't. Probability just gives you the chance of whether it will happen. Most people know that life doesn't follow pattern, and that even if the odd are 10 ^ 1000000 to one, the event can still occur, but the chance of it, provided by the probability, is quite low. Although the event could occur, it is not very likely to occur. Probability is not a 100% perfect fact, nor will it tell you how to find a free chocolate bar. It acts as an indication, not as a fact. If there was a race between a rock and a rocket, I think the rocket would win, but then again, the rocket could malfunction and be forced to be scratched. Therefore the rock wins. Anything is possible, just not probable.
Thanks for that, Captain Obvious. ;D Naw, just kidding. It's just, we already know that. Why did you post it again?
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2007, 02:09:53 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
Thanks for that, Captain Obvious. ;D Naw, just kidding. It's just, we already know that. Why did you post it again?

Well, that's basically what your entire argument was since the beginning. You gave people the wrong idea, and so we went into a debate about how probability works. But that wasn't your argument. You were saying the above. Basically I'm concluding the debate. :P
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2007, 05:04:08 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
They can mean your certain DEATH. Or, failure in whatever you do, to be less dramatic. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's completely pointless to worry about Probabilities. And that those are just made up.

Edit: You people might find this interesting:
http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php

It didn't start me believing the things I believe, but it supported and advanced it.
On (sorry to use probabilities) 90% of the time (or more) probabilities help us. I will give you a list:

-We most likely will be shot if we wear gang colors down a dark alley, so we don't.
-We won't run through traffic to get to the other side because we probably will get killed.
-We eat food to survive because most likely its not laced with arsenic, even though there is a 1.0*10-30 chance that would happen.

All three of those are where probabilities help us.

Also, that was a very interesting video...I really liked it.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2007, 01:43:34 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Interested in your opinion on this then:
We calculate a 0.0000000000000000000000001% chance the big bad thing I mentioned earlier will happen. Should we take damage control, bare in mine how expansive that could be (it is a big bad thing after all)?

Fox

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2007, 01:58:48 pm »
They can mean your certain DEATH. Or, failure in whatever you do, to be less dramatic. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's completely pointless to worry about Probabilities. And that those are just made up.

Edit: You people might find this interesting:
http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php

It didn't start me believing the things I believe, but it supported and advanced it.
On (sorry to use probabilities) 90% of the time (or more) probabilities help us. I will give you a list:

-We most likely will be shot if we wear gang colors down a dark alley, so we don't.
-We won't run through traffic to get to the other side because we probably will get killed.
-We eat food to survive because most likely its not laced with arsenic, even though there is a 1.0*10-30 chance that would happen.

All three of those are where probabilities help us.

Also, that was a very interesting video...I really liked it.
You do all of these things because there IS the option for the worse thing to happen. I'm never saying that it won't happen.

Interested in your opinion on this then:
We calculate a 0.0000000000000000000000001% chance the big bad thing I mentioned earlier will happen. Should we take damage control, bare in mine how expansive that could be (it is a big bad thing after all)?
Yes. Although it really depends on the situation. And you used a probability again, but remember - the thing either happens or it doesn't.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2007, 03:48:37 pm »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
Probability is an illusion.
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.

Fox

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2007, 09:50:30 pm »
Probability is an illusion.
My argument in a nutshell.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2007, 10:17:17 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
And what exactly isn't an illusion in this world we live in? XD If the world is just our brain trying to interpret it, how badly is it screwing up?

Fox

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2007, 10:15:02 pm »
That's a whole different field of discussion lol. We expect the world to be equivalent to everyone. An illusion, then, is the belief of something that is most likely not true or real.

(I guess your question was rhetoric, but whatever.)
  • Me on deviantART
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 60 queries.