Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: [Abandonware] Octorok Map Designer [Dead for the time being]  (Read 10939 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
[Abandonware] Octorok Map Designer [Dead for the...
« on: October 16, 2007, 11:27:04 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Okay, its hard to determine where this particular project should go, considering its both a Zelda project that has active development, AND an engine...

Some of you may remember back when I was working on Octorok GB, which was essentially a map designer for my old GB zelda projects... I'm going to be reinventing that project again since I have a resparked interest in getting LTTP Pure to where it was supposed to go lol...

Basically, this tool is going to be a map file organizer and map creator. The idea behind it is quite simple-

Your GM6/7 Zelda game will require 1 room to use this engine; and that particular room will have to be the size of 9 individual rooms (in LTTP a standard room is 256x224); 3 rooms across, 3 rooms down. Your "view" for the room will have to be the size of one individual room as well, placed in the center of the room created.

Reason for this? Well thats simple!

Using the Octorok Map Designer, you design your maps, and place them on a grid. Your big room encompasses 9 potential rooms on this grid. Your GMD will preload the rooms that are above, below, to the right and left of your current position on the grid. This way, you can scroll across with no problems. When the game is done scrolling over to the next room, the engine will seamlessly move the player back onto the middle part of the map, and load the rooms above, below, to the left, and to the right of the player again. This allows you to have the ENTIRE overworld load using just 1 map, with no worries of pitiful scrolling or horrendous load times. Each time you scroll, the game will represent your position as part of an array (IE if you're 3 rooms across, and 10 rooms down, your position array value will be 3,10). This will tell the engine what to preload (IE at that same position, it'll also load 4,10; 2,10; 3,11; and 3,9). Fairly confusing to explain XD but it'll work.

The Octorok Map Designer tool itself will be coded in VB6, and it will spit out your map files in this fashion-

X0Y0.map
X1Y0.map

etc.

On average, a world map will have 256 map files in one folder, and possibly an index file that references to each. Each one of these map files will be in GML, and it will tell the game what to draw, and what objects to place. Along with that, it'll spit out an index file that will tell the game which rooms should be linked together for float-scrolling (IE; it'll move the camera as you walk around, instead of being locked until you move into the next room), etc.

It will also spit out the appropriate code to use to adapt your project with the Octorok Map Designer.

I'll have more specifics on this later, but I think I'll start designing this tool later today. C&C anyone? I also need some ideas on what should/could/etc go into this project. Since I'm going to working on this today while I'm doing laundry, all input will be considered :P
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:11:43 pm by Mamoruanime »
Re: [PRE] Octorok Map Designer
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 11:43:08 am »
  • 笑い男
sounds good ^^
making a game in gm and having lots of  big maps can be a real pain with lag, or especially if you plan to have updates to them often with keeping the main exe the same :x

and then making your own, good external map maker and loader can take quite some time too and difficult if you want it to be any good

so not only one for people to use, but one that sounds very professional seems great ^^

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 11:57:47 am »
  • The devil in the mirror.
Sounds useful for those using GM, but why 9 rooms? why can't it be x number of rooms? Do GM have a size limit on rooms?
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 12:09:20 pm »
  • 笑い男
no, i think its to mimic the alttp system
but if it is though, then what about the single rooms, like houses and whatever in dungeons?

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 03:17:45 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Sounds useful for those using GM, but why 9 rooms? why can't it be x number of rooms? Do GM have a size limit on rooms?

Nah its not only 9 rooms; the idea is to have one large room that is about the size of 9 rooms; its total size (for LTTP sizing at least) would be 768x672, and this one room is basically your dummy room that you will load each individual room file into :p Link will stay in the very center 256x224 block of that room, and will only step outside of those boundaries to simulate scrolling across to the next room. You can have as many rooms as you'd like, but they'd all be separate files that would be loaded into your huge 768x672 room.

no, i think its to mimic the alttp system
but if it is though, then what about the single rooms, like houses and whatever in dungeons?

Houses and dungeons would work the same way; they'd be a different block of rooms, however where your world map files might be located in the "World" folder, individual rooms would be in the "Dungeons" folder, or something like that; however the user wants to set it up; but ultimately, it could all run off of the same system, and be buffered into the huge 768x672 room :P

BTW I'm making some progress on this as well; I have an early screenshot you all can see; I'm pretty much just setting up the side menu---

Pic Description-
Just set up object referencing; which is basically the way that the map engine will be able to reference objects in your game, and allow it to generate the GML code with the appropriate object names. These are there simply for map placement and quick reference.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:59:36 pm by Mamoruanime »
Re: [WIP] Octorok Map Designer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:07:10 pm »
  • 笑い男
hmm, wouldn't it be better to store values that say what should happen, eg create link and then the hard code half of it is done in the actual game?

unless you want it to be more flexable i guess instead of just having a set of set definitions or whatever

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 07:25:49 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
All object creation will be saved with the map file when you're done designing a map :p... although, the initial objects (the objects that stay present regardless of which room you're in) will be done on the GM side. The objects that will be created by this tool are like enemies and room-based doodads.

Pretty much all that happens on the Octorok side is the basic map design; you'll have a lot of the options that GM provides with its map designer, except this will just export the GML code behind the map for use with the GML part of this engine :P
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 07:40:35 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
For the first link I assume you meant http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21153.0;attach=2438;image (you missed the ;image). Anyway, it looks really nice, well done, I'm sure this will be useful to people other than me (now if you were to release a C# or C++ version of this with a basic engine...  ;) I doubt that will happen, but a boy can dream, right?)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 07:50:22 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Oops XD thanks lol

and no :( sadly I'm not knowledgeable enough in C++ or C# to make one for those :( lol that would be neat though :P

UPDATE!--

Populating the objects list with exported resources is complete; however the issue of their design display image is there... (more than likely, the user will have to assign images for each individual object they wish to use, and save that to the index file for use with Octorok.exe)
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 07:56:51 pm »
  • 笑い男
whats that editor made in then, btw? (you haven't already said have you? ^^;)

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 07:57:49 pm »
meh, everyone working on an engine or editor, seems to be going pretty fast in your case tho...
I'm writing in C++ using wxWidgets, and it takes a while placing everything =/

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 08:01:35 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Quote from: Meeee
The Octorok Map Designer tool itself will be coded in VB6

:P Visual Basic 6

meh, everyone working on an engine or editor, seems to be going pretty fast in your case tho...
I'm writing in C++ using wxWidgets, and it takes a while placing everything =/

Yeah, lol this is the second time I've done this same tool practically XD so this time around its going a lot quicker than usual :p... I wouldnt really call this an editor though; its more or less a 2nd part to an engine... Since the GM map tool doesnt deliver the results needed (BAH why is there no room gml batch export???), this'll hopefully simplify zelda maps lol

O.o what type of tool are you making in c++?
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 08:07:54 pm »
  • 笑い男
i knew that info would of been hidden somewhere, just couldn't find it when i quickly looked >_<

i think the reason it goes twice as quick this time is because of the magic of planning stuff. if you've done it once, then you already have a solid idea of how to go about things and improve on things, an existing plan, instead of just diving in with nothing planned :x
such a simple thing, yet we all love to just dive in and end up thinking damn it, now i need to redo it all because its a mess and sucks >_<

i decided to make my external map maker in gm, trying to use a dll for windows wiget stuff. wasn't fun O_O and resulted in much lag when doing extreme stuff :/
but it works really well though at least

last time i'm using gm for anything relatively big after this project >_< lol

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 08:11:44 pm »
[...]
O.o what type of tool are you making in c++?

An editor for my own engine that I have been working for the past months(2 months or so)...
The engine is written in C++/OpenGL with SDL as input.
Look in sig. ;)

On-topic:
Isn't VB6 pretty much drag and drop for the GUI interface?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 08:13:39 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah, the entire form is designed by simply placing your controls and resizing them appropriately :P I love it, lol speeds up design exponentially XD

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 08:22:30 pm »
  • 笑い男
are there not editors to do such things for many lanuages?
i know borland's delphi one does the same and i'm pretty sure visual studio does so for c# at least

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 08:23:51 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah, lol actually C++ from the development package that comes with VB6 has a form editor as well :P actually, it rivals VB6's form editors user friendliness quite a bit O_O
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 07:44:47 am »

I just realized you can export a resource list from GM7 to a text file! I'm going to make an importer of this so you dont have to manually add your resources to Octorok. This will allow users to quickly and easily start making maps for their projects!

That's a $$$ seller right there. Nice.
the a o d c

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 07:52:41 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah but its only useful on a top-level aspect :P You wont actually be able to physically edit your resources and export them to your GMD or anything; but it does help when you want to place your map objects and doodads on your map :P

NEW UPDATES! *Attaches screenys*

Touched up the GUI a ton (I want it to have a familiar interface, and if I dont do it now I'll never get around to it)
Added some new import features and saving features
imported a ton of my old WRS map designer tool into this one for ease of use with the map design

etc etc etc

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 10:56:25 am »
Looking REALLY nice ;) Gotta love sweet GUI's =P
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 94 queries.