Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Comprehensive indie game list! (Reviews and ratings!)  (Read 10021 times)

Comprehensive indie game list! (Reviews and rati...
« on: December 02, 2006, 10:01:12 pm »
Please feel free to submit your own games and or alterations to the ratings, screenshots, reviews or descriptions given to each game.

Rating System:

0 to 25
Poor. Bad quality, lots of bugs, essentially unplayable.
26 to 50
Sub-standard. Playable, but needs a lot of work.
51 to 75
Average. Pretty nice but lacking details.
76 to 100
Amazing. Very professional and with immense effort given.
Shows promise.
#
Unrateable, given when there is little or no media to rate it on.
~
Bugs, lots of bugs!
%
I'm biased I can't rate it, please post your own score for these!

The Crystal Of Gidna - Topic | Website

Description
The project started as "Return Of The Hero" June 2005 and the resolution was 640x480. I used the normal lttp link, with some modifications. I had that name for 3 months maybe? And then i realized that the name didn't suit the game very good, so...
Project got renamed again. Now it was called "Waters Of The Past", but that name stuck only for few months also. Then i started creating the story, and i found the best name for it:
Crystal Of Gidna
The graphics got updated significantly many times, resolution got changed to 256x224 and the engine was almost fully redone at this stage.

Screenshots

Downloads
Version 2.1

Rating 95*
Comon, do I even need to say anything? Just look at the screenshots!

Reviews
None - Go on submit one!

Twinsen - Topic

Description
Why is it called the 'Pilot Episode Demo'? because this game is a TV show, and features the first level as the pilot episode, the first level may change in the final game, just how the first episode in a TV show may be remade if the show gets picked up, time will tell?

Screenshots

Downloads
Pilot Episode Demo

Rating 100*
Stunning, I can't think of anything at all to criticise this game on apart from a few very minor bugs which have probably already been fixed. Its just amazing, the gameplay, audio and graphics are perfectly balanced.

Reviews
Kame
    Immediately after starting Twinsen, I could tell that I was playing a fantastic game. The (two) opening credits were smooth and quickly gave way to a fantastic titlescreen with interesting, yet readable, and undeniably spiffy lettering, and a fantastic background of seemingly rotating skies. The quality of the graphics only rises as the game begins with a rather nicely done cutscene, although a graphic of two aliens shaking hands did make me grimace, illustrating what is, really, a rather weak story and explaining the game. However, one quickly forgets this as Level 1, the only level featured in .TakaM and Cocopuff's first demo, opens with an inventive and cool transition obviously modeled after a scene marker, or whatever the things are called, as Twinsen does a flip out of his house, the only surviving one left on his home planet, presumably Twinsun, and gets ready for some action.
     At first the gameplay seems stiff and forced, but after just a little bit of playing and learning controls and moves, one realizes that Twinsen's moves, including his seemingly slow movement, is perfectly suited to his carefully-crafted environment. He has a number of clever sword moves, including a spinning move to give him some air, and a running mode that allows him to execute a sword-spinning-double-jump that is indispensable when it comes to destroying the dragonflies that appear in the game.
     The world, of course, is beautiful, accented by small touches like Twinsen's dynamic shadow, rays of light in the sky, and moving, parallax clouds, as well as the typically Gameboy Advance-style view that shifts to always show more ahead of Twinsen than behind him. The sounds in the game, while mostly (perhaps entirely) stolen, do sound quite nice and I am eager to see them replaced with original sounds.
     Overall, this game shows an amazing amount of promise and should definitely be watched by anybody with an internet connection and a Game Maker 6-compatible computer. I would definitely pay money for this game and I predict that it will be heavily reviewed and downloaded once complete.

Zelda Mobile - Topic | Website

Description
It is a zelda 1 remake

Screenshots

Downloads
Jar file
Jar file - without sounds
Emulated PC version

Rating 80*
Pretty inivitive platform for a zelda game, and quite a solid engine. However that said its still a basic zelda engine, not much else. I will re-evaluate this rating when a more complete demo is released.

Reviews

Retro
90/100*
From what I've seen and played it's brilliant!  An amazing idea and a game I would love to play when finished.  The demo's that I have played have not shown too much of the plot (Important in a Zelda Fan Game), but did show how the controls and graphics were properly used for play on a mobile phone.  The only thing I can complain about is that it only works on Java phones, but there's not much that can be done about that (easily).

GridBlast - Topic | Website

Description
GridBlast plays like nothing you have ever played before, it uses the WASD keys to control bombs that explode in beautiful particle effects and the space bar to clear the screen with a giant blast. Move a missile shooter with the mouse and shoot with the left mouse button. There are tons of ways to play the game. The game's graphics are very modern and clean but stay true to their old-school looks. The music will keep you enchanted for hours on end, as the game can be played for two minutes or two hours. This game never ends, more and more enemy's come with increasing speed and variety, until you stop. Millions of possibilities, you can play the game only using the missile shooter, or not at all. Will you upgrade your missiles to heat seeking and super speed? It's all up to you. Compete for the highest score in the world by sending your high score at the end of a playing session.

Screenshots

Downloads
Demo 1 (Don't save-as)

Rating %*
Not bad, but it currently lacks the kind of additive feeling that most retro games have. The 2d-primitive graphics also get a bit tacky after a while.

Reviews
None - Go on submit one!

Kirbys Flight - Topic | Website

Description
Oh no! The birds are migrating south again! Watch out Kirby, there sure is a lot of them up there. Don't let them hit you!

Screenshots

Downloads
Version 1

Rating 70
Fun, pretty addictive to. Its only downfall is the repetative nature and several rather annoying , and somewhat out of place, sound effects ( ie. The picking-up-star sound. )
The highscore page adds a very nice touch to the game.

Reviews
None - Go on submit one!

ZFGC: Gang Wars - Topic | Website

Description
This game follows the story of a battle between two gangs. The Cold Bloods, and the Acid Rollaz. You're recruited by the Cold Bloods who are currently losing the ongoing battle. It's up to you to put their gang back up in the ranks, or do you have other plans...?

The game has three alt. endings, each one depending on how you play.
There's a Gold ending, a Silver ending, and a Bronze ending. Each one giving you an award also.

There are also a few alt. cut-scenes that'll happen in the middle of the story, depending on how you play/what you do.

Screenshots

Downloads
Version 1

Rating 45
The games not bad, but the idea of 'gangs' in a zelda game just dosen't fit. The graphics are also pretty horrible to look at, like miss-matched, decapitated GB graphics.

Reviews
None - Go on submit one!

Zelda Rupees - Topic | Website

Description
In this fast paced arcade game you must collect as many of Zelda's Rupees as you can, whilst dodging arrows, bombs and Ganondorf's summoned monsters. Use the Bug Catching Net and Pegasus Boots to get those pesky hard-to-reach rupees.

Don't mess up; Zelda is counting on you!

Screenshots

Downloads
Version 1

Rating 70
Fun, pretty addictive to. Its only downfall is the repetative gameplay and some times sticky controls.

Reviews
None - Go on submit one!

Darkness Uprising - Topic | Website

Description
Darkness Uprising is a game based on the characters created by Nintendo, this is a fan game made by Zsanctuary Productions, we are not making any profit whatsoever.

Screenshots

Downloads
Version 1 (Don't save-as)

Rating 80*
One of the few full-scale completed zelda fan games in existance. Its only let down is a handfull of bugs and some dull-mapping work. Deserves a high score just for being completed :).

Reviews
None - Go on submit one!

World Artist - Topic | Website

Description
In game development, one of the most important topics is the tiling and planning of 2 dimensional maps. It is always very difficult to map things as we desire, to make them fit our needs. With World Artist, this will change, it is a powerful tool, that will let you build your maps from the ground up! The tool is designed for tile based games, it can be an Arcade, shoot'em up, RPG, any style of game you want! World Artist includes most of the known image touching up tools, such as the eye dropper, rubber tool etc. It also incorporates a scripting language that you can use to elaborate plug-ins to World Artist! On top of all these features, World Artist supports multi-language!

World Artist can export maps in different formats, among others you have Game Maker, raw format, picture format etc. Your maps are the most valuable thing on earth, World Artist has an encryption algorithm you can use to protect your maps!

Downloads
Version 1 (Don't save-as)

Screenshots

Rating 95*
From piers review.

Reviews
Piers
 My download meter reaches %100 as I dash in, close all my other programs and click the icon...... just to run into an installer. One of the least user friendly things ever is the installer because most download the program, test it and then delete it. An installed program unfortunatly is harder to get rid of then clicking the delete button and sometimes even leaves unwanted registry settings when removed. ( -%2 )

I quickly installed the program and clicked the shortcut on my desktop. A beutifully organized user-interface popped up before my eyes. I started a new map and loaded in some Zelda GB tiles. I go to click the add tileset button and notice that no tilesets where loaded, no big deal really. I press cancel and click on file to find the words "tileset manager" near the bottum. I click on tileset propertise, just for the program to close on me.

I figured it was an error on my part, so loaded a tileset in again after restarting the program. I click on the new tile and add it to the map. To my satisfaction, it worked perfectly. I clicked a few more tiles but screwed up. I click the undo button... and the program closes again. This time, I knew it wasn't an error on my part so I was pretty pissed. ( -%3 )

I try yet again, get to the same place I was and try doing the undo button: It worked perfectly. So, I went along my way using the pencil drawing a few tiles at a time making some tests.

The rest of my 30 minutes with this program went really smooth though I thought it was stupid how you could save in picture format, yet you can turn off grid and just prnt screen the map out. You could use the program un-registered for years and never have to register it.

LoZ: The Final Challenge - Topic | Website

Description
In July 2005, the old Zelda Fan Game Central offered a competition to create a game in two weeks. Enter Team Kousou, and three weeks later, we came out with this:
In the Legend of Zelda: The Final Challenge, you have a choice of four characters, each with unique puzzles spread out over four seperate dungeons.

Screenshots

Downloads
Version 1

Rating 90*
Amazing game, nicely designed. A few bad maps and bugs but pretty good overall.

Reviews
None - Go on submit one!

TLOZ: Tower of Gonzo - Topic

Description
DM is a zelda classic 2D engine, it's made to be able to run and create zelda games/worlds
Tower of Gonzo (temporary name) is a zelda fan game made on top of that engine
I am making the world on top of my engine to show features, possibilities and trueness to the zelda style.
Im aiming for it to be a full fledged zelda game with lots of dungeons, enemies, quests and I already have 26 items!
Made with VB6 for win32.

Screenshots

Downloads
Version 1

Rating 95*
Love it, the engine is brilliant from what I've seen, very well thought out. The only thing that lets it down are the graphics which seem sub-standard at times.

Reviews
None - Go on submit one!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:20:17 am by Helios »
Re: Game Reviews
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 10:01:47 pm »
Majora's Mask GB - Topic | Website

Description
 A remake with a twist. The full game of Majora's Mask for n64 becomes even more interesting as it is converted into Gameboy styled graphics. This is the ultimate remake for MM.

Screenshots

Downloads
None

Rating 0%
None

Reviews
None - Go on submit one!

The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer - Topic

Description
A creeping fear stalks the land of Hyrule. Its people tormented by terrible nightmares, this once peaceful kingdom is slowing slipping into chaos and misrule. With their dreams haunted by a desperate plea for help, a boy named Link and a princess named Zelda find themselves mysteriously drawn to a dark tower on a forgotten island. There they discover the terrifying true nature of the kingdom's curse...
Can Link harness the dark power of the Shadowgazer to awaken the hero within and bring Hyrule back into the light?

Screenshots

Downloads
Technical Demo:
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

Rating 100*
The technical demo was already pretty good for a technical demo, but what is most promising is how much work king mob is putting into designing the game, plenty of concept sketches of areas and characters. With this much work and planning behind the game, its going to be hard for him to mess up - the zelda fan game to watch.

Reviews
Darunia
Smooth gameplay. Great graphics. Good effects. This is really something to look at! Even though it's only a technical demo, you can see how professional it looks.

It's not easy to make me say this...but it deserves it!
Rating: 100*

TLoZ: Choice Of Destiny - Topic

Description
In 776 H.R.Hyrule was back in the power of the Royal Family. Ganon was defeated.
The Hero of Time left Hyrule and the Master Sword was returned to the pedestal.
Waiting for another hero to pull it out and save Hyrule once again...
After a few years. Princess Zelda got very sick for an unknown reason.
The King got the best doctors and magic users of Hyrule to save his daughter's life.
But they could not help her. Princess Zelda died in 779 H.R.
The King was so saddened by her death. That he was no longer able to rule the land.
He gave the responsibility to his army admiral. Who was now in control of Hyrule.
The Admiral quickly recruited more troops and called out the Hyrule Empire.
He pulled out the Master Sword as he would be the new hero of Hyrule.
Making himself Emperor of Hyrule. He started building a massive army of soldiers.
The soldiers swore to protect the Empire from any threat. And protect the people.
Hyrule prospered under this new rule. Trains and flying machines were invented.
But not everyone agreed with this new rule. Small resistance factions spawned.
The factions believed the Emperor was planning to invade other worlds...
And to enslave the Hylians to soldiers...

Screenshots

Downloads
Town Demo 1

Rating 95*
Brilliant!

Reviews
None - Go on submit one!

TLoZ:GB Masterquest 2 - Topic

Description
A remake of Zelda I for the PC in LOZ: Links Awakening graphics.

Screenshots

Downloads
Testing Demo 17 (Don't save-as)

Rating 75*
Pretty nice, the engine is quite solid. HUD graphics are a bit of a let down though. I will re-evaluate this rating when a more complete demo is released.

Reviews
None - Go on submit one!

The Legend of Zelda - The Phoenix Blade - Topic

Description
Long ago, in the land of Reona, it is said that an evil woman from the shadow mage tribe sought to take over the kingdom. By placing a curse on the kingdom's guardian, she began to conquer Reona. Just when all hope had seem to be lost, a mysterious maiden wielding a blade that shone with the intensity of the sun, appeared as if from nowhere. She used this blade to vanquish the foul hearted woman and return peace to Reona.

Screenshots

Downloads
Demo 2

Rating 80*
Looks very nice, but the demo didn't really impress me.

Reviews
None - Go on submit one!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 03:42:54 pm by Helios »
Re: Comprehensive fan game list! (Reviews and ra...
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 11:21:28 pm »
Please send me a PM if you want it posted, this isn't an advertisment topic. All the details will go in the first post.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 01:20:21 pm by .TakaM »
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 09:03:06 pm »
Would anyone like to do a few? I'm sorter busy with coursework at the moment and won't be able to do many for a few days. Heres the layout code if you want it.

Code: [Select]
[hr]

[size=17pt][i][b]Game Name Goes Here - [url=Topic URL Goes Here]Topic[/url] | [url=Website URL goes here]Website[/url] [/b][/i][/size]

[size=12pt][i][b]Description[/b][/i][/size]
Game Description Goes Here.

[size=12pt][i][b]Screenshots[/b][/i][/size]
Screenshots Go Here.

[size=12pt][i][b]Downloads[/b][/i][/size]
Downloads Go Here.

[size=12pt][i][b]Rating[/b][/i][/size] [size=14pt][i][b] Rating Goes Here [/b][/i][/size]
Rating Explanation Goes Here.

[size=12pt][i][b]Reviews[/b][/i][/size]
[i]None - Go on submit one![/i]

If your to lazy to do that just write up the details and I will sort out the layout code :).
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 09:26:25 pm »
  • Txet Lanosrep
Zelda Mobile

90/100*

From what I've seen and played it's brilliant!  An amazing idea and a game I would love to play when finished.  The demo's that I have played have not shown too much of the plot (Important in a Zelda Fan Game), but did show how the controls and graphics were properly used for play on a mobile phone.  The only thing I can complain about is that it only works on Java phones, but there's not much that can be done about that (easily).

Retro
  • TITANIC
Re: Comprehensive indie game list! (Reviews and ...
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 01:47:24 pm »
*dig-o-rama*

Anyone wish to help with this / continue it? I've been pretty buzy with college/zfgc site/taby site/Fusion and god knows what else and have been neglecting this somewhat. It would be amazing to get it full up though.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 01:59:42 pm »
I added king mobs game, I urge everyone to contribute something, especially if your game is already listed here.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 03:06:25 pm »
  • [sic]
I request that the ratings be changed. 50 to 75 being average is ludicrous. It gives no way to rate REALLY good games accordingly high - it also gives too much scope to terrible games, which, you obviously haven't needed since none of your ratings have been below 45, which should mean "barely below average", which is not a bad rating, really.

I also request that World Artist be removed as it isn't a game. I'll rate/review/post some games in a minute.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 03:10:33 pm »
I request that the ratings be changed. 50 to 75 being average is ludicrous. It gives no way to rate REALLY good games accordingly high - it also gives too much scope to terrible games, which, you obviously haven't needed since none of your ratings have been below 45, which should mean "barely below average", which is not a bad rating, really.

I also request that World Artist be removed as it isn't a game. I'll rate/review/post some games in a minute.
Reviews
None - Go on submit one!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 03:20:24 pm »
No. 1 to 100 is fine. Plus I have the lovely little * symbol to use for really good quality games. And the reason nothing is below 45 as the games I have so far reviewed have had work put into them, I'm keeping all the scores below that for really terrible games with no effort or thought put into them.

Nope, sorry the title is a bit misleading. This topic is generally meant for any WIP projects at zfgc, I'll change the title in a sec.

I added king mobs game, I urge everyone to contribute something, especially if your game is already listed here.
Thanks .TaKaM.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 07:57:09 pm »
  • .越//
i wonder all the time what the zelda games have to do with indie gaming...

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 10:21:21 pm »
i wonder all the time what the zelda games have to do with indie gaming...

Indie = Independent, thus zelda games being produced by independent groups are indie games.
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 03:23:58 am »
common this isn't comprehensive 100 to some games? thats exagerated, Takam game is really good but the movement is a bit bad, KingMobs game is really amazing but the demo was lagging with me, no offense to Takam or King Mob, but how they could get 100 if it has som glitches/errors ?? Im not saying those are the only mistake, another mistake is that the numbers are sometime exagerated o.O the lowest one is 45 and the game isn't a zelda game, it has the graphics but nothing related to zelda.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 03:38:58 am »
common this isn't comprehensive 100 to some games? thats exagerated, Takam game is really good but the movement is a bit bad, KingMobs game is really amazing but the demo was lagging with me, no offense to Takam or King Mob, but how they could get 100 if it has som glitches/errors ?? Im not saying those are the only mistake, another mistake is that the numbers are sometime exagerated o.O the lowest one is 45 and the game isn't a zelda game, it has the graphics but nothing related to zelda.
Reviews
None - Go on submit one!
seriously, quit complaining, if you think they deserve a different score, then submit a different score! -_-
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 04:12:06 am »
  • =/
World Artist Version 1 Review

My download meter reaches %100 as I dash in, close all my other programs and click the icon...... just to run into an installer. One of the least user friendly things ever is the installer because most download the program, test it and then delete it. An installed program unfortunatly is harder to get rid of then clicking the delete button and sometimes even leaves unwanted registry settings when removed. ( -%2 )

I quickly installed the program and clicked the shortcut on my desktop. A beutifully organized user-interface popped up before my eyes. I started a new map and loaded in some Zelda GB tiles. I go to click the add tileset button and notice that no tilesets where loaded, no big deal really. I press cancel and click on file to find the words "tileset manager" near the bottum. I click on tileset propertise, just for the program to close on me.

I figured it was an error on my part, so loaded a tileset in again after restarting the program. I click on the new tile and add it to the map. To my satisfaction, it worked perfectly. I clicked a few more tiles but screwed up. I click the undo button... and the program closes again. This time, I knew it wasn't an error on my part so I was pretty pissed. ( -%3 )

I try yet again, get to the same place I was and try doing the undo button: It worked perfectly. So, I went along my way using the pencil drawing a few tiles at a time making some tests.

The rest of my 30 minutes with this program went really smooth though I thought it was stupid how you could save in picture format, yet you can turn off grid and just prnt screen the map out. You could use the program un-registered for years and never have to register it.

Rating 95*
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 08:16:47 am »

Rating 95*

Yeh, there are still a handfull of errors. Which version are you using? Most of the ones you mention are fixed in the latest.

And you can actually turn the grid off :P, look in the view menu.
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 02:11:39 pm »
  • =/

Rating 95*

Yeh, there are still a handfull of errors. Which version are you using? Most of the ones you mention are fixed in the latest.

I am using the un-registered version of version 1.

Also, that is what I meant. If you turn off the grid, you can press prnt screen to take a picture of the window. Then just paste it in paint, and cut out the map. I think you should find a way to stop that because it allows people to use the un-registered verison for years and never have to pay.
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 02:13:42 pm »

Rating 95*

Also, that is what I meant. If you turn off the grid, you can press prnt screen to take a picture of the window. Then just paste it in paint, and cut out the map. I think you should find a way to stop that because it allows people to use the un-registered verison for years and never have to pay.

Not really, I don't mind if people do that. Registration just means you are supporting BP and you get to save to a persistant file type, rather than being limited to 30.
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 02:20:21 pm »
  • =/

Rating 95*

Not really, I don't mind if people do that. Registration just means you are supporting BP and you get to save to a persistant file type, rather than being limited to 30.
Heh. So that is why you did not do the 30 day trial and instead did a thirty saves.
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2006, 03:37:27 pm »
  • Fight the Power
The Shadowgazer Review 1
Smooth gameplay. Great graphics. Good effects. This is really something to look at! Even though it's only a technical demo, you can see how professional it looks.

It's not easy to make me say this...but it deserves it!
Rating: 100*

Currently Listening to: Mos Def - Summertime
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 77 queries.

anything