Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Atrius' LA graphics dump & OoA partial dumps  (Read 10771 times)

Atrius' LA graphics dump & OoA partial dumps
« on: November 29, 2006, 01:49:18 am »
  • Fear my Blades
Heres something you GB graphics fans might enjoy.

I wrote my own gb graphics viewer just to see if I could, and since it was working I thought I'd celebrate by dumping all of the graphics from LA into 32 128x128 files.  I tried my best to get the pallette right on everything, and reorganized things quite a bit to make them more recognizable.  Keep in mind though that this is still basically just a graphics dump, and some of the graphics still need better organized, combined with other parts, or mirrored to complete them.  Also GB graphics are based on 8x8 tiles, not 16x16, so some things you're looking for may be in smaller pieces than you'd think.  Oddly there are quite a few repeats too, especially for dungeon tiles.

I'll be releasing a Zip file with all 32 images soon, but it will probably have to wait a while since Kousou Games is going through some changes.

I would like to do the same with OoA/OoS, but their graphics are compressed and I'm not sure how.  I doubt I'd want to try to get the colors correct for everything either, I'd probably just do them black and white like these.

Credit is appreciated, but not required.  Do not forget to credit Nintendo for originally making them though.

And here are the Link sprites from Oracle of Ages, I ripped these a while ago, organized and completed them a while ago.  The mirrored sprites are missing since thats done by the game I'm using them for's code.

Here are the OoA/OoS Fonts.  I added some characters to the first one to make it a more complete font for my game, I'm not sure which ones now though.

There are more OoA Graphics here at the top of page #2.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 04:03:58 am by Atrius »

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games
Re: Atrius' LA graphics dump (Theoretically ever...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 01:52:52 am »
  • Lionfish App dev

Is that princess peach?

Ontopic: Cool! Think how much space they could have saved if they didn't repeat so many tiles though!
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 01:54:08 am »
  • Official Forum Hippie/Writer
My mind, she's blown!

That is quite possibly one of the most excellent things I've seen on this forum in quite a while.  Great job, I'm sure you've just fulfilled the dreams of many a people today.

Last Wizard of TheCentury

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 01:55:29 am »
could i get that program
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 02:05:00 am »
  • =/
 Nice... to bad you couldn't get a rip of OoA. Most won't use black and white sprites anymore...
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 02:07:09 am »
  • Official Forum Hippie/Writer
A black and white game would be awesome now that I think about it.  Or at least really desaturated, like with really pale colors and mostly black and white.  I dunno, it'd be cool to see a noir esque game once and a while...
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 02:11:07 am »

Is that princess peach?

Ontopic: Cool! Think how much space they could have saved if they didn't repeat so many tiles though!
princess peach is on that picture you give to the guy who likes writing letters.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 02:11:53 am »
  • Fear my Blades
Moldorma: If you organize the tiles fully it forms a hand holding a picture labeled 'Christine' but I think it's safe to assume thats supposed to be a cameo of Peach.

Bearer: Heh, thanks.  I should probably post the Link sheet from OoA too since that's one of the few things I found that wasn't compressed.  It's quite a bit larger than the one in LA.

Last Wizard of TheCentury: It works for the most part, but i'm still working on it.  It can be rather slow, and glitches really badly if you do something it doesn't like.  The interface also leaves a lot to be desired, I wouldn't even say it really has one.

Piers: Yeah... I was able to get Links sprites though, I'll put those up in a minute.  These would probably be most useful to recolor, Gameboy color graphics are almost exactly the same as Gameboy ones, the only real difference is the pallette.

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 09:00:15 am »
Eyegasm.... please.... get... more.... *Dies*
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 04:34:06 pm »
  • [sic]
A black and white game would be awesome now that I think about it.  Or at least really desaturated, like with really pale colors and mostly black and white.  I dunno, it'd be cool to see a noir esque game once and a while...
Yeah, I love black and white retro-style games.
Re: Atrius\' LA graphics dump (Theoretically eve...
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 06:48:56 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Ohhh, yeah. I remember now. Been a while since I played that game. :P
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 07:07:02 pm »
Ooh, nice, a graphics dump. Nicely done ;D. Mind explaining the graphics format :P?
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 11:47:58 pm »
  • Fear my Blades
Hyrule Boy: XD I was hoping to see a reply from you.  I'd love to get more, but I can't find how OoA/OoS graphics are compressed.  There's some stuff in there that isn't, like Links sprites, a couple enemies, Ricky, Moosh, Dimitri, some items, a few NPC's, and the fonts (below).  Bits of Twinrova, and Gannon may be salvagable too.  I'll try to get some of those later.

I added some characters into the first one to make it a more complete font, I'm not sure which ones now though.

cb43569: Sure.
Each 8x8 tile is 16 bytes.  2 bytes for each row of 8 pixels. Each pair of bits from those two bytes represents a pixel.  So combine the first bit of each byte to get pixel 1, combine the second bit of each byte to get pixel 2, combine the third bit of each byte to get pixel 3, and so on.  I don't think you can ever tell where the graphics will appear in the file so you'll have to sift through a lot of garbage tiles to find the graphics.  Oh, each pixels is only 2 bits because it just points to a location 0-3 in the pallette data.  Just using Black, Dark Gray, Light Gray, and White in order should be good enough to identify the graphics, but you may have to swap them around.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 11:51:52 pm by Atrius »

• Kousou Games
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 01:38:01 am »
Wow this has inspired me to(H_B don't go screaming like a fan girl) make a game out of gb graphics. I probly won't even get started but, it seems cool. Of course I can't sprite gb(lessons?) so I'd have to only use those and maybe get some from H_B or SC.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 10:02:51 pm »
Atrius, you must be an Angel from God! keep ripping brother. I will pray to God that you will find out how to rip sprite's from OOS/OOA with your awesome ripping program. God bless you!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 04:00:30 am »
  • Fear my Blades
I've been looking all over the net to see if anyone knew anything about the graphics in OoS/OoA.  I found some information on the format of the dungeon data, but sadly it seems no one has cracked the compression on the graphics yet.

Alright, Heres what I could manage to get from OoA.  I didn't include the fonts since they're in my last post, but I left the Link sections in.  I didn't bother to color them since the Pallette data could be anywhere in the file and it would be virtually impossible to match it up to the tiles.  Some assembly required for Ricky, Moosh, Dimitri, and Maple...

And heres a collection of everything I found that could be salvaged from the compressed section.  I went ahead and organized the seperated pieces of Twinrova, and Ganon.

I'll have a look through OoS tommorow to see if theres anything different, I thought I saw part of a dragon in one of them.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 04:05:43 am by Atrius »

• Kousou Games
Re: Atrius' LA graphics dump & OoA partial dumps
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 01:06:02 pm »
Your program ripps sprite's in black and white?
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 01:07:13 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
It's from the original LA, which was in black and white, i assume.
Nice rips!

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 01:18:14 pm »
And the OoA/OoS rips are in black and white because he isn't bothering with ripping the palletes, as they could be anywhere in the ROM :P. Come on, thank him, he's DUMPING GB/GBC GRAPHICS :P!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 03:35:37 pm »
  • Fear my Blades

Thats just what I have the pallette set to.  Like CB43569 said, the pallette information could be anywhere in the file, and it would be virtually impossible to find it and actually match it up to the graphics.  I'm not sure if I really want to try because many of the graphics could use different pallettes in different places in the game anyway.

TomPel: Those ones in my last post are from OoA.

• Kousou Games
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 77 queries.

anything